Incorrect slew during alignment *** Major Defect ***
Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:45 PM
Why would it do that? Why does it slew so close to the control panel that cables can be sheared off?
I tried again, and when it was 'finding home' it slewed so far in RA that the OTA almost hit the tripod -- I was rable to hit the power switch just in time to prevent the destruction of the OTA.
I reset the hand controller -- didn't make a difference - every attempt at an alignment had the scop slew in the wrong direction. The GPS appears to be working - it did identify my location as being near Concord Ca, but it keeps on slewing inicorrectly. This happened once before, but a reset of the controller fixed it -- but not this time.
I appear to have a 150 pound, $8000 anchor!!!
Can this be forwarded to someone at Meade that may have some idea about what has gone wrong? I am quite p'd off right now...
Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:43 AM
Even if I did want to try to update the firmware, the USB cable that is necessary for this operation was not included in the boxes I received with the scope and mount. I've been waiting 3 weeks for that too.
When I went through this last night I had turned StarLock off because I knew it wasn't working.
This is either a faulty AutoStar II or faulty LX800 mount head. I can't update AutopStar either -- No cable...
Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:46 AM
Think I'm going to check that the scope I have coming to me either has those cables with it. If not, I'll update my order so I have them on hand.
Sorry to hear of the troubles you're going through. No fun at all.
BTW: I think the dealer I am going through is trying to hold off on shipment a bit so that any issues are resolved before it gets sent to me. Australia is a long way to do warranty returns. I am however getting a bit annoyed at the lack of updates from them.
Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:53 PM
I have been working with one of Meade's tech support guys. Now that the StarLock is completely out of the picture, and I performed another reset of the hand controller, alignment appears to be working properly.
I'll be getting a replacement StarLock and the cable that was sheared off some time next week.
Yes, there are some problems, but the Meade team appears to be making an honest effort to correct the issues.
I guess I'm just a cockeyed optimist (you have to be to be an 'early adapter'. This is truly the bleeding edge.
- tmohr36 likes this
Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:48 PM
On the other issues, it appears to be an issue with the hand controller, and a new one is on the way.
Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:07 PM
Not very happy about it being delayed, but given the distances involved (for returning it or getting spare bits), it makes some sense.
Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:24 PM
Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:51 AM
I'm also wondering if connection to PC via RS232 cable has anything to do with it. The last time I tried with it connected, I got some weird results.
I also was thinking that the cables going across the GPS receiver may have had an effect -- haven't prooved that one out yet, but I now route my wires below the controller base and will try connected to PC via RS232 again.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users