• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 djspite

djspite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

I recently purchased a barely used 8" lx90 off of ebay. It was advertised as having ACF optics, and the meade box it was shipped to me in does have a yellow ACF label on it... but, there are no markings on the tube at all (it's the newer textured tube) and no mention of ACF on the labels around the corrector.

Shouldn't something other than the cardboard shipping box indicate ACF?

Thanks,
Marshall

#2 djspite

djspite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

Ah, I should have read futher before postin (Searching didn't turn up anything). Found what I needed in this thread:

http://www.meade4m.c...-is-really-acf/

#3 djspite

djspite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Ok, one more post on this. The linked thread mentions the bit about 6 screws on the secondary, but goes on to say that having 6 screws isn't definative. The summary is that the only way to know is to test it. While that's fine, it does create problems when you buy a scope off ebay as I did. You don't have a lot of time to request a refund through the seller or paypal. If, as in my case, you can't get the scope out for 2 weeks or more, you might be out of luck. Buying from a reputable seller isn't enough if the seller doesn't know better (as an example, I've seen plenty of reputable sellers unwittingly selling vintage fake watches (old fakes of old watches)).

So, my only point is, it would be nice if there was a quick way to do an external visual inspection of the scope to determine if it has the ACF optics.

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Just a thought. You MIGHT be able to call Meade Customer Support and give them the serial number on the optical tube. Possibly, they can look it up and tell you what it is. I have no idea if they really have that ability, but might be worth a try.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#5 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:55 AM

If memory serves me correctly all acf optics has the 6 screws on the secondary.
# of them are to hold the secondary on and the other 3 are for columination.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lx90, acf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users