• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 glaceda

glaceda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

Here are the weights of the different components of the LX600-12".
X-Wedge. 28.2 lbs
Tri-pod. 40 lbs
OTA w/split arms. 62.4 lbs (this includes the starlock and finder scopes)
Split arms/controller. 36.4 lbs

Dean

#62 Gunnergm1

Gunnergm1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Hey group,

As of 7pm eastern time Sunday 5/5/13 I see that HIGHPOINT SCIENTIFIC has the 12" w/ wedge in stock. Free shipping! That's where I got mine from.

#63 ldesign1

ldesign1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

How big is the visual opening? Does it still have the constrictive 38mm opening from the LX200 series or is it a full 2" opening?

#64 FrankM

FrankM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

So I've been watching the Highpoint Scientific page daily and they listed a 12" LX600 as in stock on May 15. I immediately called and ordered it. Well...it wasn't really in stock. It was on the way to them according to Meade. Well...it wasn't really on the way to them. Highpoint said they were given bad info by Meade. Regardless, my LX600 is supposed to ship today from Meade...if they've had clear skies and have been able to test the scope, which is supposedly ready to ship once tested.

The reason for my post is to ask if someone with a 12" LX600 could measure the scope to see what diameter cover I will need. I presently have a Telegizmos 365 Series T314 cover on my 12" LX200R that is permanently mounted on a Pier-Tech adjustable pier in a Skyshed POD. My current cover has a diameter of about 22 inches. It seems like the Starlock mechanism will require a larger diameter cover. I'd like to know the total width of the scope including the optical tube and Starlock assembly. Since the scope is always parked in a near vertical position, that measurement will tell me the required diameter of the cover. Thanks!

#65 FrankM

FrankM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

I finally received my 12" LX600...more than a year after I initially ordered one. It arrived via truck yesterday. I initially ordered it from OPT but cancelled after waiting over 6 months and hearing nothing but silence from Meade in all that time. I would have re-ordered from OPT if they would have responded to any emails in the last few months...but they didn't. It took about 3 weeks for me to get one from Highpoint Scientific.

I probably won't have time to mount the scope in my small observatory for at least a week or two. The incredibly dark skies of SE Utah have been crystal clear for several weeks...and more of the same is forecast. I will post my observations and comparisons to the LX200R. The main reason I upgraded to the LX600 was because of the new focusing system. Focusing with the LX200R is an art form...and somewhat of a pain. Rough focus (and hope you don't pass focus or you get huge image shift when you reverse the knob)...then lock the mirror...then fine focus with the micro-focuser. Then remember to unlock the mirror when you want to focus again. Hopefully, the LX600 lives up to it's promise of zero image shift with the new crayford-style focuser.

For those who have received and unboxed their scopes: Is there anything other than the tripod in the tripod box? Since the scope will be mounted on an adjustable pier, the new tripod will be sold with the LX200R. If there is nothing but the tripod in that box, I will ship it to the buyer without even opening it. I'll probably list the LX200R on eBay after the new one is mounted.

#66 tlwarnke

tlwarnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

The only thing in the tripod box is the tripod and its accessories (spreader bar, etc)

Terry

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lx600

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users