65 replies to this topic

#21 FrankM

FrankM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

I started this thread 5 months ago after ordering my LX600. I have now cancelled my order. It's more than 4 months since Meade indicated the LX600 would start shipping. Meade has totally ignored everyone's requests for some type of timeline which indicates to me that they don't really have a clue as to when bugs will be worked out of this new system. They won't even communicate with people who have already bought and received the LX800 and had to ship them back to Meade several months ago. If I were one of those whose LX800 was recalled and is being held by Meade, I would be asking for a full refund because the units were obviously defective and should never have been shipped out in the first place. I'll continue to use my LX200R until some time next year and will consider re-ordering when the units have been field-tested and are in stock for immediate shipment.
  • tlwarnke likes this

#22 quattroman

quattroman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationOppegård, Norway

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

One guy on Meade's facebook page just asked about news on the LX600..

Meade's reply was: Nothing we can say yet. Stay tuned.

#23 FrankM

FrankM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:24 AM

I've tuned out. If they've gone from "We hope to start shipping at the end of May" to "Nothing we can say yet" 5 months later, something has gone horribly wrong...either with the company or the design. I feel much more comfortable with my $500 deposit back in my pocket.

#24 FrankM

FrankM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:34 AM

and one more thing...a company as large as Meade MUST have some idea as to when they will be able to start shipping a product. "Nothing we can say yet" doesn't cut it. If they would have said yesterday that they were working on perfecting a certain aspect of the design and it would still be 6 months to shipping, I would most likely not have cancelled my order. Their total silence and refusal to respond to any inquiries in a meaningful manner is evidence of major problems with the new scopes. Many people put deposits on their new scopes (or already bought the LX800). We invested in Meade. They owe us more than silence.

#25 quattroman

quattroman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationOppegård, Norway

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

What you say would seem to be the case, Frank.. It's all really strange. Problems may run higher up than just the scopes themselves. Perhaps the upgrades and work needed to make the Starlock work, are not feasible within Meade's technological and financial frames, as of now. Still, Celestron have a similar product; StarSense.

LX800 was recalled because of mecanical problems with the mount, and Starlock, if I'm correct.
As far as I know, LX600 didn't have any designproblems, just the Starlock.

One thought (since the LX600 has an interesting optical design and other improvements vs the LX200): I, and many others, don't use the scope primarily for astrophotography..
Maybe Meade should consider (temporarily) launching the LX600 mainly as a visual scope (like the LX200), without the Starlock (even though it would be an advantage visually as well).
That way, Meade could begin shipping LX600 to those who woudn't mind the absence of Starlock. Rather than waiting a long time for something that may not work out..

As of now I'm more drawn to just order an LX200 and get delivery immediately. So a simplified LX600 without the Starlock would be a really good alternative.

#26 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

StarSense isn't quite the same as SrtarLock. StarSense does part of the job StarLock does -- it analyses an image and does a plate solve to find and slew to an object. That is where the comparison stops -- the StarLock also has the capability of once an object is found and centered, finding a star in its' FOV, and locking onto it -- guiding the scope for the duration of the time that object is being viewed, regardless of how accurately the scope has been aligned (at least for visual viewing -- for astrophotography an accurate alignment of the mount is crucial) without any intervention by the observer.

I believe the StaLock firmware issue had been mostly resolved, there may be only a few refinements for astrophotography still being tested. I have one of those LX800s that were recalled. After the first firmware revision, the StarLock seemed to be working, the mount issues were making it work overtime -- it had to compensate for the uneven mount mechanics.

It would be interesting to see Meade start delivering the LX600's and delay (as mentioned above) shipment of the StarLock system if a user was just interestd in visual, but I don't see that happening.
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#27 croessus

croessus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

I've talked with a couple different vendors on both US coasts and their estimate on when Meade may begin shipping the LX600 product line is in about 6 months. This is just speculation of course so please take it as such. If Meade's vendors don't have a good idea when they may begin shipping then I think it is still a ways out.

#28 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:49 AM

A lot of websites I goto say if you place an order that day the LX600 will ship by OCT. 30 or so...

Terry

Meade LX200 14" ACF GPS
Meade 4 speed micro focuser
Milburn Wedge
Panama City Florida

Live long and prosper

#29 FrankM

FrankM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

A lot of websites I goto say if you place an order that day the LX600 will ship by OCT. 30 or so...

Do they indicate if that is 2012?

#30 Cryhavoc

Cryhavoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

LOL

#31 Cryhavoc

Cryhavoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

Just got my Dec issue of Sky & Telescope. I see where Meade has pulled all advertising for the LX600's & LX800's. I also see where they spent over 1/2M on R&D in the last quarter according to their financial reports. I have read many blogs & opinions that attribute the "very deflated" sales of higher end scopes to Meade's, not only blunder, but terrible mishandling of this entire endeavor. While I continue to archive my funds in hopes of this situation being resolved, I can't help but wish I had a voice on Meades board of directors in order to assure those that care, the correct discipline would be directed at those responsible for this complete debacle. I have never seen anything quite like this. Amazing that it's allowed to continue.

#32 croessus

croessus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

Below is a recent reply from Meade about estimated ship date.

We are hoping for first shipments on this new and exciting product some time in the next few months. Beyond that delivery time would be difficult to estimate, depending greatly on the timing of initial release as ell as how quickly production ramps up. Although strictly a guess due to all the uncertainties involved I would estimate a lead time in the three month range once we begin shipments.

#33 Cryhavoc

Cryhavoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

It's almost December. Anyone heard any information that might indicate we'll be able to do some viewing before the mosquitoes return? I'd rather not wait an additional year before purchasing considering how long I've already waited.

#34 pheonix

pheonix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Did anyone's LX600 order get shipped? Are these systems bug-free? I am looking to order LX800, but wanted to check with LX600 status too, before going ahead with the order.

#35 Dave Bolger

Dave Bolger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

Hi! I am brand new to this forum, (very first post), and I thank you all for the valuable information. I am very interested in astrophotography, and have spent a great deal of time researching my best options. I own a small reflector (from a long time ago) that is not suited at all for what I want to do, and would instead love to own an LX-600 w/X-Wedge, or the previous LX-400ACF (if it were still available), but I am on the outside looking into your community at the moment, and from what I have read about the LX-600, I am lucky to be at the 'pre-purchase' stage at the moment. I've considered the whole Meade line. LX80, 90, and 200 series, 6", 8",10" and 12" options, the LightSwitch series, and the LX-200 12" is doable, but for a little more money, the LX-600 or LX-800 is really where I should end up for any chance of decent photography.

I hate to speculate, but it would appear this runs deeper than a firmware/ hardware tweak, and looks more like a redesign to a degree that perhaps the current financials were not able to manage. I have read where stock prices have dipped down considerably for Meade, then again, some take that as a great opportunity to buy in.
Meade products look to me to be structurally superior and far more substantial to their competitors (@ same price range), and I believe waiting for a superior product is far better than receiving a defective or inferior one.
The fact that Meade did the right thing with the LX800 mount speaks volumes for their integrity, however the silence regarding a new product release has clearly irritated a great deal of their market and loyal patrons. An announcement to the tone of "We have experienced some difficulties getting these products off the ground, namely "x,y, and z", and we are doing "x,y, and z " to rectify these issues. We expect this to be done by "x" date, and very much appreciate your loyalty and patience while we do our best to provide you with the reliable products you know and expect."
Then for good customer relations, they could offer a token to those who have ordered and waited, maybe along the lines of a Series 5000 eyepiece set, or filters, or dew hood, etc..? This type of action goes a very long way in an era of waning product loyalty - I'm just saying. I have not invested yet, but would really like to be able to do so with Meade.
- with kind regards and high hopes.
  • Cryhavoc likes this

#36 RonH

RonH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

I placed an order for the LX-600 in April (2012 feels like longer ago) and after patiently waiting made a couple of phone calls to Meade in an attempt to get more information about possible problems and shipping dates. Although I'm not suggesting the responses I got reflect company policy they were, to say the least, dismaying and irritating. After some initial efforts which seemed to be to try to fob me off with "marketing" or "salesroom" comments, I tried to make the following remarks clear to the second contact with whom I spoke (purportedly a manager). I suggested that it would be prudent, polite and good customer relations if Meade came right out and gave their prospective and patiently waiting buyers some outright honest facts. I would not be deterred from buying the upcoming product if, as I fully expect, Meade will deliver when they have a product that meets criteria and with which they are satisfied and therefore duly proud. Meanwhile, if I was told that problems had been detected that necessitated fixing before delivery criteria could be met this would increase my sense of confidence in the company, its notions of customer care and product quality. As a long time senior manager in health care delivery I know that treating customers as if they were unable, unwilling, or too dumb to understand information is downright condescending and poisonous. It never pays to underestimate the capacity of customers to understand even bad news when it is clear to them that it is open, honest and maybe has the promise of something better in the future.This applies equally well to Giving as clear a statement of lead-time for service delivery as possible. Better to be straight and say indeterminate than a couple of weeks (3 months or so ago).

I'm hoping that Meade representatives don't continue to ignore the many comments on this and the LX-800 forum because I don't think my willingness to be patient when given the facts is a trait uniquely mine. I'd say it reflects a widespread viewpoint. I'm also sure that continued silence on the part of Meade (well-meant or not) will engender growing dissatisfaction and maybe loss of present and future sales.

My apologies for the long and perhaps "sermon like" post. I have been following this forum as a guest for a long time and finally just had to chuck in my 2-bits worth,

Clear skies to all,

Ron
  • Cryhavoc likes this

#37 Cryhavoc

Cryhavoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

Two great and well thought through posts back to back. Excellent points & observations.

I ordered my LX600 in April and am still awaiting some sort of indication either way. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the Meade boardroom so I could understand the thought pattern(s) behind all that "hasn't" happened.

I have done everything from monitor stock reports to Google forums for recent activities & monitor advertisements in all the astronomy rags for changes, the last of which gives me the most pause.

All adverts for the new line(s) have been replaced with existing products. Only vendors continue to list them as pre-order in their ads?

What does this indicate? Who knows. How do you keep a lid this tight on something so many intellectual people are watching without the slightest clue or data being divulged. Amazing feat to be sure.

When this finally unfolds it will be fodder for astronomy forums for a very long time to come & as far as I can see, there's nobody with even the slightest clue. Further, we can't even seem to provoke a response with our posts.

Just musing...&.....waiting......

#38 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

In about 5 weeks or less...

Terry

Meade LX200 14" ACF GPS
Meade 4 speed micro focuser
Milburn Wedge
Panama City Florida

Live long and prosper

#39 Cryhavoc

Cryhavoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the info! Wouldn't that be great! We'd still have a couple of months good viewing. Dare I inquire of your info source?

#40 Dave Bolger

Dave Bolger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

I went looking for a picture of the LX600 without the X-wedge and found an Ad that I thought had some serious mistakes, but the mistakes were explained somewhat in the Ad and I missed that.

http://www.bhphotovi...1117 4293918175

This ad shows the same image for both wedge and non-wedge configurations. The X-Wedge is listed for the models that include it, and they state that "Optional equipment is shown" on the images that shouldn't have the wedge.

http://www.bhphotovi..._LX600_ACF.html

Wouldn't want someone mistakenly buying a non-wedge item for a lesser price and thinking they should have the wedge...

Something else strange was the only models that list the Schott borofloat corrector plate were the non-wedge configurations, and all LX600 and LX800 OTAs have that type of corrector plate.

Anyone know if the X-wedge can be used with the LX200 and on a Standard tripod? Does the added angle of a wedge put additional stress to the motors or the gear drive?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lx600

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users