2 replies to this topic

#1 Paulbacca

Paulbacca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:12 AM

Hi All,
With Jupiter so prominent in the evening sky from the UK I thought I would take some pictures. I have a a classic 8" LX200 and a Canon 400D with a T-adaptor which enables me to directly attach my camera to the back (prime focus).

I took some pictures but with only the 2000m focal length of the telescope and whatever the lensless dslr offers(40x) . Jupiter came out very small with the two dark rings barely visible.

My question is, what is the best way and least expensive for me to increase the magnification to improve my images?

A 2x teleconverter for my camera might help but I don't think this will offer great results. Or what about eyepiece projection? What adaptor do I need for this and will it support the weight of the camera enough?

Thanks

Paul

#2 Philip Pugh

Philip Pugh

Sir Philip Pugh, AKA Astrochav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationBased in South West England and Wales

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:06 AM

Biggest problem with DSLRs is that they can cause balance problems on the mount, as they are heavy. I do my Jupiter shots by hand-holding a compact digital camera against an eyepiece. I normally use about 48x magnification for shots with moons and about 125x magnification or higher for disc shots. I have tried using a webcam but the image is usually way over-exposed. I managed a half decent webcam shot in hazy conditions but the compact digital camera shot was better.

I'd try eyepiece projection and mount the DSLR on a separate tripod. I don't think prime focus is the best combination to use with Jupiter and a DSLR but is great with deep sky objects.

I'm hoping to get another webcam with greater control of exposure times.

#3 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

If you can buy a Meade LPI camera, and use a 2x barlow, you'll get very passable results for not much money. Jupiter rotates very quickly and turbulence blurs images even more, so very short exposures and lots of them is the key. With the LPI you can set the "acceptance rate" at a number to have the software discard all the poor ones.... I set mine at 20% so only the best 20% get recorded... uless its kind of windy and none show up so I set it to 50% to get more potential images. Then stack aobut 300 to 400 and you're good to go. You can adjust the settings for the camera while its taking pictures for contrast which alos helps a lot.

good hunting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users