Photo

Meade LX80 and LX800 news, why isn't it here?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

I have been trying to study up on focal reducers.  From what I can read, the amount of reduction in a particular reducer is based on its focal length.  For a particular reduction, there will be a definite distance between the reducer and the eyepiece.  I would expect the new one to be set up for the Meade diagonal in between the reducer and the eyepiece and nothing else.  Any change in distance would change the magnification properties and would change the amount of correction needed as well. 

If I were to make a guess, I am expecting that the focuser would need to be before the reducer, then the reducer, then the diagonal, then the eyepiece.  However, if the focuser or some other piece is not set up with the right connectors on it to match exactly with the remaining components, then the designed distance cannot be attained.  With these differences and the kinds of uses Meade expects the new OTAs to be used for (such as with the microfocuser) they may have allowed for the correct fitting setup.  If they did, that would be one reason the new system is not compatible with the old.  I do not believe the microfocuser can screw straight on to the scope and the present focal reducers have the SCT threaded fitting and have to come before the focuser.  (this is twisting my brain around, hope I said it all right and it does not bother your heads too badly.)

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#22 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

After reading the doc about the Micro Focuser, it does connect to the rear cell of an SCT -- and has SCT adapter ring for
the accessory side of it -- so it can be placed directly on the rear cell or the end of the focal reducer -- the trick is to find out
which is the proper placement.

Right now I have a Classic LX200 with the F6.3 reducer, it goes directly on the rear cell -- but that telescope will not allow
for the connection of the Micro Focuser (it requires the Autostar controller).
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#23 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

That is good information!

All I can say at this point is that when you do finally get all the things you are talking about, you are going to have one whale of a rig!

Put that together with the skies that you have.......Man!!!!!  I am envious!

Bill Steen

#24 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

When we do finally get that wonderful rig -- will these questions be answered?
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

#25 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

I expect so.  If not by Meade, then by trial and error.  :o

Seriously, I think we will eventually get Meade's oppinion on the way things should be set up and then we will also have people try just about every other combination as well.  There are too many people out there that are curious and will try things.

Bill Steen

#26 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

Just got Sky and Telescope today -- the Meade Ad indicates the LX800 and LX 80 are "Now Shipping". But the website says they are still in pre-order status.
I found an LX80 manual in the support area of the Web Site, but nothing for the LX800 yet.

Any update n actual availability?

#27 Cefiar

Cefiar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Not yet, but it's still not April in the USA (it is here in Australia), so who knows.

Of course, the only issue with releasing a new telescope on the 1st of April is.. it's the 1st of April!

Also, it's a Sunday. I don't know how likely it is that they'll do a press release for a new product on a Sunday.  :-\

Here's hoping that things happen on Monday!
--
Cefiar
Melbourne, Australia

#28 Cefiar

Cefiar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Checked all the usual places and everything is still 'Pre-order'.

Only other thing I can think of is that they might wait till after Easter till they release it.

Just about to send off my Canon 50D to get the CCD filter replaced so I can use it for Astro photography. It'd be nice if I had the LX800 to attach it to when it comes back.  :-\
--
Cefiar
Melbourne, Australia

#29 tmohr36

tmohr36

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationNorth Las Vegas

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

LX800 Mount Manual was posted over the past 24 hours. Here's a direct link to the LX Telescope Series Manuals

http://meade.com/sof...nuals/lx-series

#30 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

Now that the scopes are shipping, can someone in Meade give an answer to the order of connection for the Focal Reducer and the Micro Focuser?

Is it OTA -- Focal Reducer -- Microfocuser

-- OR --
OTA -- Micro Focuser -- Focal Reducer?

There is nothing in the Telecope Manual...

#31 Meade

Meade

Meade Instruments

• Administrators
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

From what I understand (and i'll double check on this tommorow), the focal reducer for the new f/8 tubes slides up into the baffle. So I would think it would be OTA/reducer -- Microfocuser -- eyepieces/cameras.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users