Photo

Meade LX80 and LX800 news, why isn't it here?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 tmohr36

tmohr36

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationNorth Las Vegas

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

I've been reading online about Meade Announcing their Latest and Greatest LX80 and LX800 Mounts and OTAs. Why hasn't Meade announced it here? :) Announcing something like that here is a more logical place than a vendor's webpage. Isn't it?

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:02 PM

I recieved a notice about the new mounts a couple days ago in the form of a link to a cloudy nights article.  I have not had time to think about it and post something intelegent.

The new mounts can be alt/az, equitorial, or can be set up to handle two telescopes at the same time.

The LX-80 and the LX-800 can both be purchased seperately or with any number of different optical tubes on them.

The LX-80 runs about $800 list price for just the mount and the LX-800 is on up there.

I am intrigued by the concept of having one mount that can funtion in any of those capacities, but really have no details that have not already been posted on some vendor websites.

If anyone buys one, I would really like to hear what they think when they have had a chance to use it and learn about its strengths and weaknesses.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 tmohr36

tmohr36

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:33 PM

Hi Bill, I've read the CN forum post and I've chimed in a couple times on AF too. I did find a couple videos that have been posted from the PATS show this weekend. Search Meade LX800 on you tube and they should pop up. Also on Here: http://www.shopatron...1.28926.0.0.0.0 looks like Meade is taking pre-orders as well. I'm trying to get into AP, so the LX80 is in my price range, but I'm a bit confused about the "Optional Autoguider" port that is available. I would think this would be a standard item for an EQ mount, not an option. :)

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:07 PM

This is purely speculation.  I am guessing that the things a general observer would need with the mount will be there, but not other items for more intense use.  Since everybody will not be using those items, they are made optional to keep the base price down.

Since the amount of counterweights needed will depend on the scope and other equipment, the stand alone mount will probably not have counterweights built into the price.  Keep the basic price low and let you add on only what you need.

I have exhausted my guesses from a vast field of ignorance on this subject.

Bill Steen

#5 tmohr36

tmohr36

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

Thanks, Bill! Very good points and thank you for "smacking me in the back of the head".  :) Sometimes "tunnel vision" isn't the best "view".
Even with options, the LX80 will certainly price itself out very well.

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:29 PM

A little more information:  I just saw on the Meade site that the LX-80 comes with an 11 lb counterweight.

The mount can support 40 lbs in AltAz or Eq modes and 70 lb in the dual scope mode.

The LX-80 comes as a mount only, with a 6", 8", or 10" SC or a couple different 6000 series refractors.

Runs on 8 AA batteries or it can use the 5A 12v Meade power supply, that is a seperate purchase.

Bill Steen

#7 tmohr36

tmohr36

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

Excellent Bill, thanks for the update. I keep checking the "manuals" page for a listing of the one that will ship with the LX80 mount. I'd really like to know if there is a "polar scope" included and I'm positive that would be described in the manual. I can't say that I've seen one yet in any of the available pictures.

#8 schmacker

schmacker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

They've posted a new pic from "final beta testing" on their facebook page:

http://www.facebook....0&type=1&ref=nf

Should be shipping any time now, I would think.

#9 schmacker

schmacker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

Two more new pics from beta testing up on Meade's facebook page:

http://www.facebook....63499890&type=1

#10 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

Seeing these images makes me hope that they will start shipping soon -- I've had an order in since November...
Oh where , Oh where has my LX800 gone? Oh where oh Where can it be?

My appologies to all of the little doggies in the wold...
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#11 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

Any update on when the scopes are going to be available?
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

#12 tmohr36

tmohr36

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

Not exactly. I've seen posted on other forums that March 12, 2012 is semi-solid date. At least 2 sources have stated that date. Not holding my breath yet, though.

I decided to buy "Cs" GEM ($1499), because I got tired of waiting for my Pre-Ordered (December 3, 2011) LX80 mount....I'm still waiting too ???..... I'll be comparing the two mounts  :o , once the LX80 arrives. The best performer gets to stay, the other will find its way onto the used market.  :-\

If you've heard anything different or more solid, please let us know.

Clears Dark Skies,

Tom Mohr

#13 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

I have not heard a thing.

Bill Steen

#14 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

March 12 has come and will soon be gone  :o

Any uipdates on LX800 avaialability?

#15 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

I have not heard anything new or seen anything new on the various eStores.

Just the news of the 360 degree views of both.  I sure do like the looks of them.

Bill Steen

#16 Cefiar

Cefiar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:51 AM

I'm hoping that Meade are only holding off releasing the LX800 till the current 40th year anniversary promotion is over. I'm guessing that trying to add exemptions to the current promo for the LX80 and LX800's would be a lot of trouble (even if only from the "Why didn't I get my discount?" questions).

Already got my deposit down on an LX800 14" f/8 ACF, so would love to actually be able to pay off the remainder of the price and pick it up sooner rather than later.
--
Cefiar
Melbourne, Australia

#17 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

I am thinking the time has to be getting pretty close.  When a specific accessory shows up actually for sale with the on-line stores (focal reducer) that cannot be used with anything else, it just has to be right around the corner.

After learning that the whole optical tube of the f/8 units is a different design from the f/10 units to the point that the focal reducer is not interchangable, I am very curious about the new ones.

When you get yours and have a chance to really give it a good workout, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Bill Steen

#18 Cefiar

Cefiar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

I'm looking at getting the focal reducer too, so was very interested in your posts on the focal reducer.

Someone might end being able to do a review before me though, as it'll probably take a while to get to Australia. :-\

BTW: The pics of the focal reducer that they've put up on Astronomics and Optical Planet aren't correct. From what I remember seeing in pics (and comments) on the FB posts, the LX800 focal reducer seems to be an all aluminium affair.
--
Cefiar
Melbourne, Australia

#19 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:09 AM

I had posted a question about the focal reducer used with the Micro Focuser -- never really got a reply about it (another secton of the Forum).

WHen using both, should the MicroFocuser be attached to the rear cell of the scope, and then the Focal Reducer attached to the Micro Focuser,
or should it be the other way around?

I asked Meade Support that question, and got two different answers from two different techs.

#20 Cefiar

Cefiar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

Hi gspie,

Yeah I saw your question too, though I don't remember where now.

I'm wondering the same. I would not expect the techs yet to have a complete understanding, but given the info MistrBadgr found about the Focal Reducer, it might be back to front compared to the older LX200's and the like.

This could also explain the techs response. One gave you the correct response cos he's been trained on the product, The other assumed it'd just be the same as an LX200 so gave you that response.

I'm going to hit up my local distributor (mainly so I can update my order with some extra bits, and see if they have any more info), but I don't think they'll be able to give me any more detail. However at least if I let them know about the uncertainty regarding add-ons (eg: Focal Reducer/Micro Focuser order), then they'll have some heads up when they finally get my parts. Hopefully then I'll get all the right bits and not end up with an unworkable setup.
--
Cefiar
Melbourne, Australia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users