• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SolarRon

SolarRon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:46 AM

I am a docent at Kitt Peak National Observatory and have access to the Meade Solar Telescope Array,  60mm and 90mm Ha Coronados and a 70mm CaK Coronado. At home I image the sun with a 40mm Coronado and a Philips webcam and get great results. At Kitt Peak the webcam gets wonderful results with the 70mm CaK. I can't capture images of quality with the 60mm and 90mm Ha scopes. I just can't get a sharp focus. I'm wondering if the 60mm and 90mm scopes are simply gathering to much light for the webcam. Could the webcam be saturated? If anyone has had a similar experience with webcam imaging using the 60mm and 90mm Coronados I would like to discuss the problem in more detail or get advice on how to set up the webcam.

Ron

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:23 PM

You may be oversaturating the chip
IM not sure how low of an exposure time you can use on the webcam so its hard to say
If you can image with the CaK scope you should be able to grab info on the other 2

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Philip Pugh

Philip Pugh

Sir Philip Pugh, AKA Astrochav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • LocationBased in South West England and Wales

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

To be honest, trying to webcam with a PST is driving me crazy, or at least more crazy than I was before. I'm 90% certain your problem is overexposure and I've tried all sorts of tricks, like using a variable polarizing filter but it still doesn't work.

I get exactly the same problem on Jupiter but some workable but unspectacular results on Saturn.

I'm considering another webcam but at the moment, I'm so busy trying to perfect shpots with a digital camera that I haven't got round to it.

Than there's this work stuff that gets in the way!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users