2 replies to this topic

#1 stevethemusicman

stevethemusicman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:23 PM

Hi All,

I need some help with understanding my DSI Pro and my 12 inch LX90. I am a complete amateur in astronomy but there is so much to learn I want to go step by step. I’m going terrestrial first. I focused the scope on a site as far I could find which a chimney on a house down the block was. I got the DSI to sort of focus on the chimney but it never really did. Perhaps it is too close to me but with the lens the focus is fine. I used Autosuite to capture the image and it did. However the image was small in size and very dark. Much darker than what I saw when the pictures were taken. I saved them many ways but they all were very dark. So first, where is more information I can find about using a DSI Pro with Autosuite or other software packages and does anyone have any suggestions for me. Yes, I’m reading the manuals over and over and will still read them but sometimes someone can say one thing that brings the whole picture (no pun intended).

Thanks,

Steve

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:11 AM

The Image may have not come to focus from heat waves comming off of the ground.
This is very common when terrestial images.
The darkness is probably from not enough exposure time.
Here is a page with some help on it for first time astronomical use.

Regards

Mark

http://astronomy.qte...om/dsihelp.html
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:03 AM

the website "www.cloudynights.com" has an instructional tutorial on "first time out" with a DSI camera, I found helpful. It introduced me to the Hartmann mask" for focusing, which I now use exclusively with my DSI cameras. Its simple to make and will make focusing a snap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users