• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FrankSpartacus

FrankSpartacus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

The red dot on the viewfinder doesn't work anymore, 'cause I left it on two nights ago. I do not see where a battery cell would go on the scope. It doesn't say anything about it in the Meade guide booklet.

I cannot do any stargazing without it.

(It won't restore itself automatically will it, since it is now turned off?)

Help!

#2 Philip Pugh

Philip Pugh

Sir Philip Pugh, AKA Astrochav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1004 posts
  • LocationBased in South West England and Wales

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:37 AM

I wasn't able to remove the battery on mine nor find a replacement battery. I bought a 9x50 right angle finderscope and haven't looked back.

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

If yours is like one I just looked at, the battery is a little silver dime sized disk on the under side of the tube on the end away from your eye.  There is a little steel finger that holds the battery in place.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#4 FrankSpartacus

FrankSpartacus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

Well,

I did find and remove the battery. It wasn't quite that clear what to do, or easy to do without needle nose pliers and an ice pick...and a gentle, patient touch.  (Thanks Bill)

Haven't replaced it yet, but found the Lithium CR2032 on the internet for less than $3. I will look tomorrow around my area so as not to wait for a mail order delivery.

I especially wanted a Meade (have a 114mm. equatorial mount, reflecting telescope) for the ease of a red dot finder, and do really love it, but I might also look into your "right angle" pick for a replacement. (Thanks Phillip).

Thanks for your responses.

"Newbie" Spartacus...Frank :)

#5 hargy

hargy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:02 AM

You can also use any two watch batteries that walmart sells, as long as they are the same diameter and thickness.
LX200R 10 inch Semi Peir Mount, Willam Optics 2.5 inch Guide Scope. Orion Auto Guider CCD. Meade DSI II Pro CCD. Deepsky Stacker, PhotoShop 5.

#6 FrankSpartacus

FrankSpartacus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

Thanks, everyone who answered my query/plea.

The battery was easy to find, super cheap at "Fryes Electronics" ($3 for a pack of 2 lithium cells), and so easy to put back in..."a caveman could do it."

I didn't skip a beat, didn't miss out on a beautiful night...didn't even have to do much readjustment with the scope...for/with Jupiter, Betelguese, Orion's belt w/the Great Nebula, Aldebaran, Aur/Capella, etc.

Ciao Bella,
Still a Newbie!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users