2 replies to this topic

#1 stevethemusicman

stevethemusicman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:16 PM

Hi All,

I’m getting ready to purchase a PST and a mount to put it on my 12 inch LX90 and want to get the groups opinion of what I’m buying.

I’m getting the PST of course but how do I mount it to the LX90. One company wants to sell me either the Meade piggy back bracket or the Losmandy DM12 rail with either Losmandy 3 axis camera mount or the Losmandy 90mm guide scope rings. I’m thinking that the Losmandy rails with the scope rings would be the best but I’d like your opinion.

Another question is the use of digital cameras on both the LX90 and the PST. I’m also getting a thousand oaks glass filter so I can use both the LX90 and the PST for all my sun worshiping so to speak. I have a DSI Pro and the Meade Electronic eye piece and want to use them wisely. I asked the dealer if I need any extensions or Barlow lenses (what is a good inexpensive brand) for the DSI or the Electronic eyepiece and what I would need for each scope but he wasn’t 100% sure. Does anyone here know what I’ll really need so I can get it all in one shot?

Thanks,

Steve

#2 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:05 PM

Hi Steve,

Of those options I would go with the Losmandy three axis as the Meade piggyback has no tilt adjustment and the PST is not easily balanced with guidescope or finder rings (I have successfully used a SolarMax 40 with the LX90 finder rings).  Any option should also include a system to rebalance the scope such as Meade's counterweights.

An electronic eyepiece works fine with the PST.  The DSI Pro is more of a challenge as its filter slide causes the unit t be moved too far out.  Some have taken the front end of the DSI and attached it to the Pro version to correct this.  Mark Sibole will undoubtedly read your post and be able to provide a much more than I.

Russ

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:14 AM

The size of the PST is small enough where it will very possibly fit in the finder scope rings of your LX90.
It all depends on the style rings you have.
On my LX200 I have the older style finder scope rings with the 6 adjustment screws and it fits in there fine.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users