8 replies to this topic

#1 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:37 AM

This was a hoot... taken 2:30AM, September 25, 2010, 560 frames with my LPI and a 2x barlow with my ETX 125 optical tube. To get more clearance for cameras and be able to balance the Optical Tube, I mounted the tube on a Nexstar 6/8 alt-az mount. The ETX optics continue to amaze me!

cheers

#2 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:46 AM

Awesome shot!!!  ;D  I wish I could do that well with my LX90 and the LPI!!

Did you use a focusing mask?  How about post processing?  Could you tell us what the settings on the LPI were?  I would love to get results like this.  Outstanding work.  Look forward to hearing from you.

#3 hargy

hargy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:34 AM

very nice contrast.
LX200R 10 inch Semi Peir Mount, Willam Optics 2.5 inch Guide Scope. Orion Auto Guider CCD. Meade DSI II Pro CCD. Deepsky Stacker, PhotoShop 5.

#4 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:29 PM

I made a Hartmann mask with three triangular holes spaced at 1/3 points that when in focus yields a sharp star with 6 points. Fro some reason the other night I couldn't get it to work and took it off and just manually tweaked it. I have a Meade electric focuser on my ETX and by tapping the buttons and watching carefully, it got it close. I usually set the time to between 1225 at the low end to 3800 on the higher end for exposures... not sure where the decimal was... might have been.01225... Gain at about 75% and contrast, the slider below the gain, at about 47%... Then I set the eval count to 10 and 50% to start. Seeing was ok so 50 was probably ok. as it imaged I saw images count in the far right corner box, dropping off to 40%, and down to 1% which told me the target had drifted out of the field of view. When they are in the 60% and above I know I'm getting good stuff.

On the sliders that reveal the histogram, I usually move them to the extremes left and right, so I can see what I've got. I think I started with very short exposures to eliminate blurring, but as the night wore on I increased the exposure time and it seemed to produce better images.

I set the filter at medium hard until I can see how its doing, and usually increase it to hard, to bring out details. Then in photoshop I tweak it first with curves but being careful not to burn out the highlights. Then I found that using color balance on a layer, you can bring out more details... running out of space will continue on another post.

#5 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

Follow up.. I create a new layer use the overlay blending mode, and then apply a sharpening filter at about 8... that snaps it up a lot but often is too much applied to the whole image... so while the layer is open go to layers, create a mask and choose hide all... then with a small brush, paint over onoly the areas that have lots going on in them like the bands and the contrast will be enhanced. If ok flatten the image, if not keep playing with the brush.

I really love this scope, moon is a good target too, but I have to get it to track a little better and pick out a highlight point for the software to use to stack images... without that you get blurred images.

good luck, Saturn is a wonderful target as well... in 2006 I got really lucky with exceptional seeing and got this one with the rings pretty open with 1536 images stacked.

#6 ebeez

ebeez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:02 AM

WOW.. great shots!!!

#7 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

Final try last night with the ETX on Jupiter one more go around. Its not as interesting at the first one with the shadow of Ganymede, but his one seemed to do  a job on the clouds... My wife has said, I have earned my merit badget for Jupiter.. time to get some sleep and move on to another target, but this has been fun.

#8 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

Tony,
Very impressive, and that shot of Saturn looks like it was taken with a 10" or 12" scope. Really fantastic.
Russell Hurlbert

#9 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:22 AM

thanks, I'm really impressed with the ETX 125 optics... my planetary results have been better than I was able to get with my 8" LX90 and recently with my 9.25" SCT although on that one I have not had good seeing when trying, and I still want to use my 3x telextender on the ETX when seeing will permit. So far the image moves around too much for me to get a good focus when I've put that on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users