#21 PapaJ

PapaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

OK ,
The thrust post, is it the one with the flat blade, that looks like an upside down "J" ?
Is it suppose to be inside the "J" or resting along side it?
If it is suppose to rest along side, that is were it is now.
Jeff

#22 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2734 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:22 PM

Jeff,

Well, I would say it looks more like an L.  If you turned it right side up, the tip of the short section is turned up and there is a hole in the middle of the short section for the retaining screw.  At the far end of the L, which is the end going downward with your orientation, there is a little bit of metal extension on one edge of the metal.  This little short extension to the side should have a flat vertical edge to it that is maybe a half inch long.  It is on that little flat edge that the gear train should make contact and slide back and forth.  If extended or pushed away from the bull gear enough, the gear train can pop out behind that edge, allowing the gear train to move back and forth more than it should.  If the gear train is outward from this little edge, you should be able to pop in back into place.

Another things to look at:  There is a strip of what I think is stainless steel that is bent into a weird shape that works as a spring to push the gear train worm gear up against the bull gear.  If that spring gets weak or is flexed too much (which I have done taking one drive apart many, many times when I was investigating gear shape) it cannot push against the forces driving the gears.  This will allow the worm gear to push away some from the bull gear before enough spring pressure builds up to balance things out.  This can allow a lot of slop in the drive when it starts to run.  I have pulled the spring off before and bent it back out some to give it more force to push the gears together.

In the Generation 2 drives, that L shaped piece has another little leg going downward on the outside of the shelf the L mounts to.  It also has a flat surface bent forward where the contact edge is on yours, making a contact face maybe 3/8 inch wide rather than just an edge making contact.  A better deal.

Anyway, I hope this helps.  Let me know if this is clear as mud and I need to try again.

Bill
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#23 PapaJ

PapaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:31 PM

I'll start back in on tommorow.
I'll report my findings.
Thank You Bill
Jeff

#24 PapaJ

PapaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:57 AM

It is on that little flat edge that the gear train should make contact and slide back and forth. 

Does this peice set against the side of the gear housing, or does it set on one side to hold it away from the " spring "?
I'm going to try to push it against the side first.
If you would like to send me a PM with your phone number, and the best time to reach you, we can figure this out.

EDIT:
After putting it all back together, I tested it ,and it seems to operate fine.
I noticed that the "freeplay" isn't there anymore in the horizontal, but the big test will be when I take it out, hopefully tonight, and run through the program.
Again I will post my findings.

Clear Skies,
  Jeff
Jeff

#25 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2734 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

The post pushes up against the side of the gear train to stop thrust in the gear shaft axial direction.

#26 PapaJ

PapaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:45 PM

Bill,
you really know your stuff about these scopes.
I got out this evening and set the scope after doing the alignment process, I went around to a few of deep sky objects to see if everything was good.
I would have to use the spiral search to find most of the objects, but within one or two rounds, they were in the field of view.
I was still getting some "back movement" until, I remembered to train the drives. After training the drives everything kind of fell into place, things were within the eyepiece FoV, when the skies clear off I'm planing on going out to try some more testing.
I appreciate all of your help in solving this problem and any other that might come up.

Clear Skies
  Jeff  B)  >:(
Jeff

#27 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2734 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:33 AM

You are definitely welcome, Jeff......Any time!

As far as me knowing my stuff about this mount.

Sometimes I can get thing right and other times something will come along and make me wonder if I really know much about them at all.  They are sure fun to fiddle with, though.

Have fun with your now working scope!

Bill

#28 PapaJ

PapaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:36 PM

Just to update you on my repairs to my drives,
Went to the local star party last night, and after it got dark enough to do an alignment, I went to a couple of objects, both in the western and eastern skies, then went to M-31, it wasn't right in my FoV, but, used the goto for spiriar search and within one spirial it was there.
It looks like the information that was used by me, from Bill, did the trick.
Thank you Bill for being able to look into other units to figure out what the rest of us can't.  ;D  :)
Jeff

#29 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2734 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:12 PM

Jeff,

You are certainly welcome!

I am glad to be of help!

Bill

#30 JPatrick_725

JPatrick_725

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

Bill,

I noticed in an earlier post you were describing the soft aluminum main shaft in the upper mounting arm of a DS-2000 series telescope. Well I have been trying to locate a replacement part for that shaft to no avail(my telescope was knocked over by a guest and it broke). My question, is where can I locate a replacement part?P7099784.JPG

#31 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2734 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

Hello and welcome to the Forum!

Well.....unfortunately, unless you are good at brazing, soldering, or gluing things back together, or happen to find another mount with that part intact, your mount is dead.  You will have to buy another one.  I suggest you watch eBay, or call Bill Vorce at www.telescope-warehouse.com.  He has a phone number and an email address.  The email address is a new one that he is trying to go to.  If it does not work, try scopehed@frontiernet.net, which is his old email address.

Sorry that I do not have better news.  What you have experienced is definitely the Achiles heal of the mount.  It is like an army tank in many ways, except for that one spot.

Bill Steen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users