http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#2 Betty L Myers

Betty L Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:10 AM

I now have the Ls 8inch, got it in Jan 2016. It worked fine the first time out but the second time it just froze up and could do anything but power down and up again.. It would get to a certain point and freeze, so I call Meade and they told me that I needed to update it.  They then sent me the mini SD card to update but it could not fine it.. So Meade said send it back..  So I did and it went to Mexico for the repairs that tock 3 months.. Now it seem better but still has some miner bugs that I am trying to work out.. 

with the members of our Astro. Club.. and Meade..  

Regards;   Betty Myers

#3 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:04 PM

Hi Betty,

What bugs do you still have? 

Bob

Meade LS-8 ACF, ZWO ASI120, Mallincam Skyraider DSc, Ipad Air-SkySafari Pro, SkyFi, and an assortment of had to have items that don't get used.

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:50 PM

Hi Betty,

Please do keep us posted on how things go with your scope.  Some people may have run into similar things and can help, or you may be running into something different.  You input adds to the collective knowledge about the LS scopes.

Also, do not hesitate to post about what you see with it.  We all enjoy hearing about other people's adventures.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#5 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:54 PM

well im nor sure on ther bugs but I can tell you it eats batterys.When I ran mine on batterys and when they got slightly low it did act funny.I only rin mine from a battery from a ups and I have zero issues with mine.To me the scope is under powered with the batterys and they do not last long enough to keep things stable/

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#6 fjhdavid

fjhdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:08 PM

I agree with Mark;

The battery are only useful to "park" the scope (if you don't move your scope beetween sessions...for example)

#7 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:02 PM

While I primarily use a car jump starter to power my LS, I think there are a couple of good reasons to keep fresh batteries in the scope.

From what I understand, the rear 2 cells in the tray are used to keep the last-used GPS location stored. Assuming the scope location is the same the next time it's powered on, it should take less time to acquire a fix.

Before I bought the jump starter I used the Meade AC power supply. It's 12V cable is very short and every so often the rotation of the scope base would put enough strain on the power cord that it would pull out of the socket. Because the internal batteries were installed, power was maintained, it wasn't necessary to realign the LS. 

I've made it a habit of buying fresh batteries every year whether they are needed or not.  This reduces the chance of the internal batteries leaking and damaging the scope.

Bob Arnold

Meade LS-8 ACF, ZWO ASI120, Mallincam Skyraider DSc, Ipad Air-SkySafari Pro, SkyFi, and an assortment of had to have items that don't get used.

#8 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:04 PM

That is good stuff, Bob! 

Thanks!

Bill Steen

#9 fjhdavid

fjhdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:41 AM

you don't even have to fix the gps again!

if you stay at the same (everywhere in your garden for example), you have to:

- disable "gps auto"

- turn on the scope and fix the gps the first time

next time, you will cycle power on, the scope will ask you to confirm a town with a name; In fact the town's name is the nearest town from your place, but in reality, it is the last GPS fix place!!!....so you have to say "yes" and the scope will go directly to the alignment procedure (no need for an another gps fix)

anyway, you will be able to check the GPS position with the "mode" button if  you want to be sure

#10 Betty L Myers

Betty L Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:17 PM

OK;  I am back with a new report;  After getting my scope back from meade and trying it out with the help of some of the members of my astronomey asso. in La.. We came to the conclusion that the scope had an electrical problem internally, it would line up OK but when looking for a line-up star it would go in circles at about 10 to 15 degrees above the horizon and would not stop till I hit the mode key, the wires would wrap around and around, a mess..  So I contacted Meade and told them about it and so I had to send it back again and this time they sent me a New Scope.. Whew!!  But this one has a few bugs too.. but I am slowly getting them out as they come up.. One was the time zone, had to change it to mine.. It lines up pretty good with the alinement stars, I have to center each one as it fines them quick..  Then it ask me if I want to go on a tour or something else.. I tried the tonight best and it went to the moon and tracked it for about half an hour..  That was good but when I try to go to the next object it like froze-up there at the moon still tracking and would not get off it or stop when I keyed the mode key, nothing would work or slu the scope, so I had to just hit the on/off switch..  Now I am trying to figure if I did something wrong or what.  So now the next time I go out I am going to do a restore and try again.. If anybody has any suggestion pleas let me know, would appreciate.  Thanks..   Betty 

#11 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:38 PM

Hi Betty,

I'm glad Meade provided you with a replacement scope. Hopefully the new one will work and give you years of enjoyment.

I'm a little confused about the alignment process you use. You shouldn't have to manually center the stars. Once you power on the the scope, you shouldn't have to touch the hand controller until you get the "good alignment" message. It's designed to be totally automated.

I would suggest you first "train the drives" using the procedure described in the LS manual (Appendix A). Next use the "center finder" routine. Once you complete both of those things, the targets you choose will be easy to view.

Learning to use the Autostar III hand controller can be confusing. Page 23 of the LS manual shows the menu tree that should be helpful.

The "c" batteries in the scope will only power the scope for a few hours at best. I strongly suggest you use an external power supply (Meade sells one) or a rechargeable storage battery like the ones used in cars or motorcycles to supply power. 

Finally, I would recommend that you not just hit the power switch to turn the scope off. Find and use the "shutdown scope" item on the hand controller. Wait until you see "ok to power off scope". Then hit the switch.

Bob

#12 Betty L Myers

Betty L Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:41 PM

I have the LS on a electric cord, no batters, it alines OK and fine the aline stars OK too..  But when it goes to the next stage of a tour or finding an object it freezes up on me and I am following the instructions in the Manuel as close as I can.  I navigate to an object press enter and then press enter to select my object and it freezes up and nothing works, the scroll does not scroll the arrow keys will  slew in any directions but the back key will not go back.. The only choice is to turn off the switch..  If I could get to shutdown I would..  I have even gone to restore to default in case something is bad there.. 

The one good thing that when right is that I found an adapter for the audio plug 2.5mm to the common 3.5mm earbuds and it works fine.. It was on Amazon.com

If you have any idea pleas let me know, I sure could use any help out there..  Thanks    B.. 

#13 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:33 AM

Hi Betty,

I did a little asking about this problem.  The one suggestion I have at this point is for you to put the mini SD chip into its slot, and then start up the scope.  It will re-download the program into the scope and start up with that.  Possibly something went wrong with the program that got loaded.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

#14 Betty L Myers

Betty L Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:42 AM

OK;  The SD Chip was sent to me by Meade with the lasted and bess up date..  I try to get it in with the little gold strips facing outward toward the switch, I hope that right but its kind of sponge and don't seem to get in all the way and I don't here it click-in. It ask for it almost as soon as it comes on and I push it in till its almost flush.. but it never tells me that it found it or see's it.. and I don't see any downloads,  I will keep trying..  B.   

#15 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:58 PM

I am not sure about the orientation.  I do not have an LS now, so I am not sure about the positioning.  Anyone else with some words of wisdom? 

If not, Betty, you might try calling Meade Customer Support at 1-800-626-3233 and confirm how it should go.  I know it is a little bit tricky and you sort of have to hold your mouth just right ;) when you do it in order to get the SD chip to latch.  It definitely has to latch up in order to do its thing.

Bill Steen

#16 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationNiefern, N48°54`31`` E8°47`10`` Germany

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:49 AM

Hi Betty,
1. it must have a 2Gb micro SD card including an adapter (e.g., SanDisk)
2. LS must be switched off !!
3. Insert 2Gb microSD card into the adapter (see picture)
4. Insert adapter including microSd card into LS SD-slot (see picture)
5. Switch on the LS
6. The display of the hand control must show the progress of the software.
7. When software is finished, remove microSd card from SD slot (goes a little hard, maybe pulling out with tweezers)
8. Switch off the LS
9. Switch on LS and it should work again
greetings from Germany
wolfgang

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC05661 1600x1200.JPG
  • DSC05663 1600x1200.JPG
  • DSC05665 1600x1200.JPG

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

LS6 " Meade Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser, Mark III Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm, Canon EOS 1100D, Sony DCS V3, Reducer Antares f / 6.3,

#17 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:02 AM

Thanks,  Wolfgang! :)

#18 Betty L Myers

Betty L Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:44 AM

Now, I am still in a jam:   The scope alines very well but after alinement it goes to tours first and so I try the tours and it will go though "A star's Life" OK then the next one is "How Far is Far" and it went to the first object, witch was venus, and froze there nothing would respond to the keys and I can not get to the shutdown.  So I switch off and wated a  few min. and back on again.. It realigns again OK and tours comes up first so I try the third on "Tonight Best" and the first object it chose it froze again the same way, no key would respond. Now I go though this again shutting down and starting up.. I have tried the two star alinement too..and it alines OK.. GPS is working OK too.. I checked it under scope info and the date, time and location was OK.. I have even tried to calibrate and fine center but that turned out a problem when I would go to a star after calibrating and centering it would start oscillating back and forth so I keyed in back and nothing happen so I tried enter and nothing happen so I keyed in mode and it stopped oscillating.. Fine, something worked.. so I did a restore default and went to shut down .. Then stared up again and it went though the auto alinement OK, each star was close to center.. so then I try to go to stars and name star vega and it fines it OK.. and tracks it too.. but when I try to go to another object it freezes up.. I don't know what else that I can do.. 

I have the SD card with the adapter that Meade sent me and when I insert it in, its a little springy and seams to want to spring out.. but it must be end cause I did take a picture with the eclipse camera indoors and saw it on the monitor.. and it looked good.. Am I doing something wrong someplace I am trying to follow the Manuel instructions but seem to be stuck..  If somebody has a trick to this or suggestion please let me know and Thanks in advance..  B..

#19 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:43 AM

Hi Betty,

If I am remembering correctly, the SD card is not locked in if it springs back to you.  There should be a little latch that engages and holds it there.  I only did an update on my LS 8 once in its early days, and I simply do not remember enough details.  You might try calling Customer Support again, tell them what you are running into with this springy issue and see if they have any advice.  1-800--626-3233.

Not being at your scope, I cannot fiddle with it and figure out how to get it to latch.  The only other thing I can think of is to hold the SD card pushed in as far as you can and hold it there with your finger, but I am afraid that would take too long for you to stand there....twenty minutes for a full update, I think.

Wolfgang, if you read this, do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill Steen

#20 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationNiefern, N48°54`31`` E8°47`10`` Germany

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:53 AM

Hello,
Yes the SD card must be inserted as in the last picture. Finally, the SD card really has to be inserted with a little pressure until the SD card locks in and does not jump out again. And as already described, the SD card must be pressed briefly after the firmware update, until the lock opens again. Then use a pair of tweezers to pull the SD card out of the slot. Hopefully I have written intelligibly.
greeting
wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

LS6 " Meade Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser, Mark III Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm, Canon EOS 1100D, Sony DCS V3, Reducer Antares f / 6.3,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users