11 replies to this topic

#1 hal9000_mark1

hal9000_mark1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:09 PM

Hi all,

I've been searching a lot around the web about any recent clue on what's up with the promised DSI drivers for 64 bit Operating Systems, and finally I write here just to break up in tears.

I don't think that the VirtualMachine-like solution would be a definitive solution, and I resist to think that the investment I did once buying a MEADE CCD would be spoilt money. DSI cameras are very good instruments, well engineered, and I would like to use mine during all the clear nights that it lasts.

I agree that the economical situation is not good for Astronomical Products Manufacturers like MEADE, but it is not good neither for amateur astronomers, whose resources to invest on telescopes and gadgets are as limited as everybody's else these days.

In my opinion, leave the costumer unattended in such a situation (Operative Systems changing and sold devices not adapted to them) would make me to to think twice when recommending a friend a MEADE brand of equipment, not because of it's quality, but because the very poor After-Sales Service.

Finally I would like to know how many of you would be interested in MEADE providing these drivers. If we are many, maybe MEADE could be interested in developing such a piece of software for a reasonable price.

Carlos
Madrid, Spain.

#2 RJTYREE

RJTYREE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:35 AM

Hi...

I would positively be willing to buy a 64 bit driver for my 5 DSI's that are now just gathering dust
because I had to buy a new laptop....that had 64 bit windows 7 loaded on it.

Thanks for pushing the issue !!!

Rod

#3 hal9000_mark1

hal9000_mark1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:06 AM

Hi Rod,

I can't believe that there is only you and me with the x64 driver problem.
Maybe in this forum, even if it seems more MEADE related, there are not enough visitors.

Shall we try in Cloudy-Nights?

Carlos.

#4 jheidman

jheidman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

I certainly feel that Meade should provide 64 bit drivers for the cameras we have been investing in all these years. It is what we call customer service!

#5 hal9000_mark1

hal9000_mark1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

I have read elsewhere that the main problem to develop drivers for the DSI familiy is that the manufacturer of chips that allow USB communication with these devices has not yet provided the drivers for controlling such hardware (i.e. Cypress Semiconductors for USB-FX2 in Atik cameras).

Does anyone know who is the manufacturer of these chips in DSI cameras? I mean the controllers that allow USB communication, not the CCD chip.

Thanks.

#6 CleverNight

CleverNight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

In order to feed my addiction imaging coupled with a new laptop (1 year old) with Windows Vista 64 bit, I had to move on. We've been asking Meade for the drivers for almost 3 years now. I have given up hope and moved on to other cameras. Sorry to say this to fellow imagers, but I think it's time we all moved on. I've lost on my investment of the cameras as well. Let's count our losses, save our pennies and move on to other imagers that WILL work in 64 bit computing environments. :(

-Respectfully,
Patrick Holland
Meade LX200GPS 14" & ACF 10"
Explore Scientific AR152, CF127 APO, 102mm APO & 80mm APO
Meade DS2130AT - Grab 'n Go
Celestron C8, Meade SN6
Starlight Xpress H-18, QHY10, Atik 460EX, 450C
Canon XSi &T2i & Orion Starshoot Imager V.2
Orion SSS III, DSI I and LPI Imagers

#7 hal9000_mark1

hal9000_mark1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:42 AM

Hi all,

I have opened a thread on "Cloudynights" debating this topic (http://www.cloudynig...all&fpart=&vc=1).

If you know someone owning a DSI camera it would be nice to make him know about this post. Maybe we could find a solution.

Thank you

#8 ejknight

ejknight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

I,too, am expierencing the same issue. Seems that the gurus at Meade have forsaken us again!
I can't believe that they don't have a version of software capiable of running on Win 7 64bit ...
Celestron9.25 SCT /120 Orion Guide Scope
Meade 5" Achro Refractor
LXD75 mount

#9 Skyhawk727

Skyhawk727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

Would love to have DSI drivers for Windows 7 along with USB to RS232 support.  By not continuing support for new systems, one wonders what new products are to be offered. 

Everybody seems to be coming out with an 8300 chip camera for $2K including SBIG which makes me wonder what's next for Meade. I'm thinking very seriously about the new SBIG camera which looks great for the money.

For now, if a petition helps, count me in.

Dave
10" LX200 in observatory, TeleVue Pronto guidescope, DSI III Pro as autoguider/imager, SBIG ST 8300M.

#10 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2749 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:07 AM

For whatever it is worth, my company, a power company with about 12,000 employees refuses to use Vista.  We still all have XP on our machines.  I do not have the knowledge to understand what the IT people are talking about.  But, they almost get emotional.  From what I do get from conversations I have had is that they have no respect for Vista at all.

The problem may not lie with Meade not willing providing a fix to the situation.  I suspect the problem lies with Vista.  I have seen posts stating that Vista over-writes the device names or some such things and then the driver cannot find the device it is programmed to look for.

If you think it is hard to get someone like Meade to make a change, try talking to Microsoft.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#11 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2364 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

I have been in contact with my friends at Meade trying to get us a driver for
the DSI series imagers for the past month.
Ive been in contact with them about 2ce a week on updates
Today I was informed that there is a working driver for the 64 bit systems.
All that we are waiting on now is a Microsoft certification on it then it will
be released!
Through work Meade has already completed the driver for the usb to rs232
adapter.
Quote from Meade
"Yes, please feel free to let everyone know that Meade stands behind their
products and is not out of the market"
Hopefully Microsoft will not delay any certificates.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#12 hal9000_mark1

hal9000_mark1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:36 AM

It sounds GGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users