7 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel_Gomez

Miguel_Gomez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:36 PM

Hi Everyone:

This is my first intervention in this forum, although I have reading the different topics for about 2 years, here is my question to you gays.
I have a LX200R 8" and 80 mm ED APO triplet, the last one in a piggy back configuration for guiding porpuses, but recently my ED APO received an impact, and since then whenin use in almost horizontal position the stars seem to be out of focus, if the refractor is near vertical position the stars look good, is there a colimation procedure for this scope available?
Any advice from you?
Any comment will be greatly appreciated.

Miguel

#2 PapaJ

PapaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:57 PM

Miguel,
If you do a search on "collimation ED APO" it shoukd turn up some information.

Jeff
Clear Skies
Jeff

#3 Miguel_Gomez

Miguel_Gomez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

Hello Jeff:

Tanks for answering me, but could you be more specific, where I can find the info about collimation 80 mm ED APO? I have read all the topics exposed in the "ED APO Telescopes" with no results. The Meade Series 5000 ED APO manual do not mention what the collimation procedure is.

Regards
Miguel

#4 PapaJ

PapaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:41 PM

You might want to contact Mark Sibole.It seams that he would more than I do.
I thought that I saw a thread on collimation, but I might be wrong.

Clear Skies,
Jeff
Jeff

#5 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:26 AM

It was supposed to be able to adjust But Im not sure if there are adjustment screws on it.
It may need a trip into meade to be re adjusted.

In the mean time ill check to see if it can be adjusted at home.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#6 Miguel_Gomez

Miguel_Gomez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:42 AM

Hello Mark:

Tanks for support me in this issue. In the front of the refractor, below the dew shield, there are three allen screws 120° apart each other, I guess these are for collimation purposes, any way, I will wait for your response if it is possible to be adjusted without to be sent to Meade.

Regards
Miguel

#7 wsuriano

wsuriano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:00 AM

Miguel:

As you await Mark's definitive answer, I can tell you that I went through a similar process of trying to find out how to collimate this scope.  Even though the literature leads you to believe it can be collimated by the user, Meade told me not to, but rather, to send it back to them.  They provide no instructions on how a user can collimate the scope.  I sent mine in and it was returned with a broken focuser.  Meade then sent me a new scope that I am very happy with. 

Another option is to use the services of Explore Scientific.  They will collimate and test the Meade scope for a fee and are very accomodating.  They were started by Meade folks and sell a virtually identical scope.  They may even have collimation instructions in their manual for their scope, but I'm not sure it exactly matches up with the Meade scope on the primary end.

Are you sure your scope needs to be collimated?

Bill

#8 Miguel_Gomez

Miguel_Gomez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:25 AM

Hello Bill and 4M Community:

As the skyies in the last days in Mexico have been cloudy, i tried to used my 80 mm APO for short periods of time and i realized one screw (of three) in the front of the scope (below the dew shade) was loose, and other almost loose, i thight both. I download the Explore Cientific colimation procedure, althought concentric circles do not appear in the Meade 80mm APO as indicated, it seems that is not needed to be sent to Meade or Explore Cientific for a deep colimation.

Thanks for supporting me in this issue, it is good to known that in communities like this one, i can find willing friends  to give the required assistance.

Clear skyies

Miguel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users