Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:03 PM

Taken on Feb 17th

10" LX200ACF, 2x barlow, DSI II Color

Captured and processed with Nebulosity and Gimp
Stack of best 3 of series of 100 .01 second exposures.

Seeing was not great, only a few of the exposures were not blurred...

#2 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:00 PM

Very nice.  I am doing a visual on Mars right now, and it looks pretty good....can even (barely) see the polar cap.

Good stuff!

#3 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:07 PM

Hey I just wanted to ask if there is a resource on the 'net that shows what "face" Mars is showing to Earth at any given time?  I know about S & T's site, but wanted to know if there was anything "out there" that would show what is going on at any given time, with a realistic view?  It looks to be somewhat gibbuous tonight.  Thanks!

#4 StevenSWissler

StevenSWissler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

Vomit, thanks for the comment. Wish I had more clear nights here in LA, I'm not aware of any net resources, 'll check at work on Monday (JPL).

There are planetarium programs like Starry Night which should do this. Celestia could possibly be used as well ( and it's free ).

#5 StevenSWissler

StevenSWissler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:05 PM

It looks like Starry Night shows what Mars looks like at any given time. Next clear night I'll see if it's accurate. There's a free open source planetarium program called stellarium which looks promising. It's a bit buggy on my wife's Vista laptop and it crashed on my xp laptop. Celestia ( another open source free tool ) shows the same "view" of Mars that Starry Night and stellarium shows. Celestia is not a planetarium program, however you can see what Mars will look like from Earth by centering Earth, then zooming to mars.

#6 StevenSWissler

StevenSWissler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

Here's a Celestia image capture for the same time as the mars picture I took on Feb 16th

#7 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:38 AM

Here's a Celestia image capture for the same time as the mars picture I took on Feb 16th

Very cool indeed.  Do you image from LA proper or one of the suburbs?  I live in Upper Michigan in a small town, so truly dark skies are never too far away......but our weather oftentimes leaves a lot to be desired.  Thanks for the input.

#8 StevenSWissler

StevenSWissler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

I live North of Los Angeles, in Sierra Madre, which is up against the San Gabriel mountains. I can get to dark skys in about an hour and a half. Observing from my yard is not too bad, seeing can be pretty good, so it's not bad for looking at the moon and planets.

#9 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:40 AM

Nice shot of Mars... it has proven to be an elusive target for me... I live near the Rose Bowl in light pollution central, and found an IDAS light pollution filter works well on DSO's. took this the other night of NGC3718 and NGC3729 from my yard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users