#1 leaca

leaca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:35 PM

Hello

Fisrt, Sorry for my english.

Somebody have a original (or latest) rom (firmware( from autostar 494, I have problem with one autostar and need prove if is the firmware.

Thanks

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2954 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:03 PM

leaca,

As I understand the 494 handset, it is not set up to change out firmware in a particular handset other than actually changing out the memory chip physically.  Your best option is to find someone near you who has another 494 handset and see if everything works like you think it should with that handset.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 leaca

leaca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

thks for your answer MistrBadgr, I was having some issues with my 494. In the weasner's page I found that I can reset the 494 from software (http://www.weasner.c...2005/reset.html)

I found the list of roms (http://www.weasner.c...4_versions.html), but I don't know where I can Donwload the rom. I'm need because I can'tl aling my telescope, when I'm aling the telescope, and press the aling keys, the motor don't respond. The test of motor is ok.

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2954 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:05 PM

leaca,

To give me an idea of what the situation is, describe to me the telescope model, and the temperature where you are trying to operate the telescope.  If it is a DS model, with a single arm mount, look inside the battery cover, up underneath the plastic toward the right.  Is there a silver flat round battery there that was installed at the factory?

Maybe we can work through the details and find some little something that is keeping this thing from working. 

You have probably already tried all this already:

Try to go through all of the setup routines and make sure every little piece of information is there.  I do not think having any of that missing would stop the unit from working.  But, I would never dismiss the possibility.

If you have been using the telescope out in the cold, try bringing it in to a warm area, let it sit there for several hours at least, then try to make it run again.  Sometimes the handset have trouble in the cold.  I am not for sure if it is the telescope, handset, or just cold batteries.

Check out the cord to make sure there are no breaks in it and plug it in and out of its socket several times in case there is something stopping part of the contact.

I do not know how you would go about putting in new firmware.  There is a special connection that can be made between a computer and the mount.  However, I do not know if you can communicate with the handset well enough to actually dump in new code.  As I understand the situation, there is not supposed to be enough memory space in the 494 to do that.  However, I could be wrong.

Keep communicating.  We may be able to work through the problem or get someone pulled into the conversation that really knows what goes on in the 494 handset.

Anyone out there with ideas, please speak up!

Bill Steen

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2954 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

Another thought:

Make sure it is set up for sidereal tracking and is not set up for terrestrial viewing.  In terrestrial mode it may not be able to do an allignment.

#6 leaca

leaca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:18 PM

MistrBadgr, thks for your Answer (and sorry for my english)

Well, I have a Meade DS-2114 and I operate it around 16-23ºC (61-73ºF).

Is there a silver flat round battery there that was installed at the factory? YES

Let me explain you what are my problem.

Recently I bought the second-hand DS-2114. In my first night out, I was learning how use the telescope and it was working. but after I parked the telescope and turn on again, the Autostar was freeze in the Daylight saving step. I turn off and turn on several times and it don't work, only until the Daylight Saving step.

I found in the weasner's page one rom and the way for install it in the autostar. After I installed the rom, I prove the autostar and finally follow until the align step. I prove the arrow key and it was moving the motor.

Two day after, I go to see the stars again. and I note that when I was aling the telescope and press the arrow keys and the autostar don't move the telescope.

Then I'm looking for the factory or latest firmware (rom) for the autostar 494.

Thks

#7 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2954 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

I think I am getting the picture of the problem now.

I am away from home on a business trip.

Let me think about this for a day or so.

Maybe I can make a phone call and find out something for you.

Your 2114 rig sounds about the same as one I bought, except that I did not have the glitch you are running into.

I will answer back as soon as I can find out something, even if it means I cannot get an answer.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

#8 leaca

leaca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

Thks Bill,

Regards,

Leandro