Photo

ETXLS-getting back to the nice people of forum.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

MARK-Thanks for the support.i started out with an etx90 and it was great,then i bought an lx90but it had no GPS and now i have lights behind my house so i sold it(BIG MISTAKE) cause it was a good scope,so i bought a ETX125 so i could move it around easier,but when i found out about the ETXLS i said AHH!! the answere to my problems(WRONG).sure wish i hadn't sold the LX90.i appreciate your concern and thoughtfulness on this.i agree with you,the bugs should have been taken care of BEFORE these went out on the market.now the people who bought these have to go through the worry that it will never be right and spent all that money some of which had to save for it.i'm waiting for a new controller but i don't think it will solve anything.thanks for the EMAIL and i'll get that out for you.again THANKS i don't feel so all alone(like the song)  thanks  DON

#22 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:50 PM

MARK hi i just reread my note to you and saw that it should be a period after"i agree with you" not a comma.  DON

#23 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

BILL STEEN  i was wondering if you have read about whats been going with the ETXLS and what your opion is about it .i haven't heard from you lately,hope everything is well with you.drop me a line if you get the chance,i'd like to touch base.  DON

#24 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:05 AM

BILL the word is opinion not opion.AH the human factor,I GOOFED. hope to hear from you.i have been surprised and elated at the interest that has been recieved on these ETXLS problems.i went onto mr.weasners site and found other people having the same problem.i hope that info from knowledgable people such as yourself and Mark will help those other people as well.if anything good comes out of this it will be because of people such as yourselves.you guys have lifted my spirit and made me feel good inside.THANK YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH.---    DON

#25 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

Hi Don,

Glad to be of help, as little as it was.

I really have no clue about the LS or LT series of scopes.  All I have seen is pictures of them and have read a little of discriptions.

As a mechanical engineer, I think any new thing that breaks old boundaries is going to have a growth curve before the bugs get worked out.  With this scope, I am sure it is a very new adventure for everyone involved, at least in terms of the moving parts. computer related things, and actually using satelites to point the telescope.  Yes, these things have been done at great expense.  Putting it in the hands of the general public at a relatively low price is a different matter.

In general, there is always a crunch to get the product concieved, engineered, produced, and delivered to the customer while keeping the total investment down as much as possible.  No matter how hard people try, things slip through the cracks and problems show up with the first runs of the product.  The question is, how will Meade respond.  I mean this from both the perspective of the thought process and decisions made as well as what can the company physically and financially do, using good financial judgement.

From my personal experiences with Meade and people that work for Meade, I think, no matter how fast or slow or effective the response is, they will be doing the best they know how to correct issues with this new scope.

It will take some period of time for the issues to be resolved and things to settle down with it, then it will be really good.

Hope this helps,

BIll Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#26 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

Bill,nice to hear from you.i agree with you about the product "bugs" being found.my only concern is that a customer expects that product to work well.since i purchased this scope i got to use it on my first night out and even then it couldn't find the alignment stars.i also found that i had to use the a/c because the batteries in #2&4 slot in the compartment are too tight and pop up in the middle therefor causing a bad connection and then you get a blank screen.after sending it out to meade for repairs i thought that would fix it but when i got it back the paint is scraped off the front edge,the controller is not the one i sent in(older and dull without the protective plastic over the readout screen of which i don't take off).it wouldn't react to the controller and when i pressed mode it started going oround in a circle.i like the scope but to be honest with you i'd rather have my lx90 back.i'm 64 years old and i just want to be able to go outside and enjoy the hobby.nothing big,just the enjoyment of observing.i'm waiting to hear from MEADE on these problems.enough wineing.the other issues i'll take up with them.it's only been 6 days since they were contacted so i hope to hear from them soon.patience patience patience.good to hear from you.take care and write back soon.  Don

#27 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:52 PM

Bill-just a note to say that when i sold my LX90 it was just after my heart surgery and i didn't think i could carry it.i'm AOK now.i sold it to a young boy and his dad so that makes me feel good that the next generation is interested.i hope or should i say i  know that he's enjoying it.  Don

#28 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:38 AM

MARK  Hope everything is well with you.today is friday the 29th and i haven't heard anything from MEADE yet.in the meantime the scope is still sitting in it's box.i sent you an email to let you know but i thought i would let you know on the forum in case you read it first.i want to thank you for your interest and for helping me with this.hope all is well and hope to hear from you.have a good day and again -THANK YOU.      Don

#29 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:53 AM

Thomas  i'm wondering how your situation has been with your scope.i haven't heard from you and the involvement of my scope has kept me kinda busy.you wrote that you were thinking of takeing it back and getting a better scope and i just wanted to say that you would not be disappointed with an LX90.thats my opinion anyway.i owned one and even though it didn't have  GPS it was still a great scope and only weighs 5 pounds more than the ETXLS.so please give me a heads up when and if you get a chance.  Don

#30 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:02 PM

That part is correct about posts like that one not being allowed.  It has been removed and the sender removed and blocked to the best of my ability.  You just read it before someone with the ability to remove it did.  Every effort put into blocking and removing things quickly.  Sometimes things get through.  When you see something like this, report it to the moderator.  We then get emails and, when we read them we can go and take care of it. 

This is actually the first reported post I have seen in several weeks.  Mike has been doing a good job, I think, in preventing such items.  This one just made it through.  I think he is trying to find out if there are some better tools available to use in this effort.

Thanks,

Bill Steen

#31 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:59 PM

Donald,

'Scuse me!  In the preceding post it is Mark not Mike.  That was not really a typo, it was more like a "braino."

Bill Steen

#32 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

Bill-----I  thanks,you made me laugh. MEADE is supposed to get hold of me(not physically)my wife had to spell that one for me,about this scope.i hope i can return it,i just don't trust it anymore.as is said"the writings on the wall.we'll see what happens.K- SARAA SARAA    Don faria

#33 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:36 PM

MARK--please accept my apology for jumping the gun on that hot site thing.i didn't know if anyone was policing it.i should have known better and i already slapped my hands. i have to say,you were pretty fast on that. THANKS Don

#34 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

No Problems.
We do our best to eliminate all posts like that and I moderate the membership to the best of my ability.
Sometines one slips by and if I dont catch it Bill does.
We have a good system going here and with Bills great help not much gets by us but when it does you can bet it it removed asap.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#35 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

KIETH&cohorts-I was just over at the weasner site and i sat reading one guys rendition of the problems he's having with his ETXLS.boy is he maad.i have to admit that i had a grin on my face.he expresses himself quite well.one guy is trying to find out how to align it correctly,it just can't seem to get it right.all i could think of is to stand in front of it with the controller in hand,bring it to the level position,raise your shotgun,and FIERRR!!!!!

#36 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:24 PM

MARK&BILL AND EVERYONE-a rep from MEADE sales called me and we talked for awhile.i told him what happened and he said they would take the scope and do repairs.i attempted to negotiate but didn't have much luck.i realize he has a job to do and he was very courteous and fended me off like a trooper.i explained that other  people were having the same problems,not just mine and i urged him to read the forums.he's going to call me tomorrow and relate on the situation with THE BOSS.there's more to it but it's too early to go into it.i'll know more tomorrow.i have owned 5 MEADE scopes(i just didn't put them all in one of the letters)LX10(too heavy)returned it (was used)an etx90(little beauty)LX90(shoulda kept it)ETX125(sold it for etxls).all of those scopes were great.i hope that all will turn out well. DON

#37 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:12 PM

Donald,

That sounds like good news!  Keep us posted.

Bill Steen

#38 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:01 AM

HI-does anyone know anything about any different warrantys that meade has that are different than normal warrantys?  Don

#39 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

me again. it's called-first light warranty,or firstlight warranty.anybody know about this,i thought it might be good knowledge.  Don

#40 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

HELLO guys here's what's going on.i called telescopes.com and told them about the etxls and after speaking to the manager,they have agreed to take it back and sell me an LX90.the LX90 has GPS so the lights behind me won't bother me.Iwant to say THANKYOU to everyone that contacted me on this especially MARK & BILL for their interest and MARK for getting me somewhere with MEADE.if it wasn't for your help, i would't have gone ahead as i did and  BILL  thank you for your advice and  calming me in this situation.telescopes .com(hayneedle) are friendly toward their customers.even if they didn't take it back(cause it was past the return date)i'd still say they were nice.Well,that's a heads up and i'll talk to you later.  Don      P/S the scope seems to be working fine now but trusting it to stay that way is another thing. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users