#1 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:30 AM

Hello all,

Although I am barely competent in using the LPI, I would like to step up a little.  A lot of the great planetary pix I have been seeing are shot using a webcam and then stacking the images.  So, can someone out there give me some sound advice as to what kind of webcam is best?  What other allied equipment will I need (i.e. brackets, etc.)?  and what's the best software for processing?

Thanks ahead of time.  And Blatz for you all.

???

#2 firemouth

firemouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationSt.Louis area

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:45 AM

The Meade DSI III Pro is a great imager for some one starting out!
It is very strong, is user friendly, and has good resolution.
Its price is affordable compared to other imagers.

Once you become proficient with imaging you could upgrade to the high dollar imagers out there that range from $2,000 to $4,000 dollars, but for now this link will put you in the right place....

http://www.meade.com/dsi_3/index.html

Most people add a cooling fan to them to help keep noise levels down on longer exposures.
20x50mm Binocs
Meade LS-8 ACF
Celestron SkyScout

#3 akjudge

akjudge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:03 PM

Vomit,

Personally (and I am not alone), I think the Webcams from Imaging Source are the best lunar & planetary webcams available.  Easy to use with very low noise issues.  I don't cool mine.

I use the DMK21AU USB on my LX200ACF 8".  No adapters necessary, unless you use a filter wheel in the optical train.  I use the Orion wheel with a ScopeStuff adapter.

I chose the monochrome camera to give me better resolution.  Works great.  Especially since it does not use compression codecs.  It comes with it's own software.  The codec can be used by both Registax & Avistack (free stacking software).

The cameras are not cheap, but I think they are the best, dollar for dollar.

Here is the main page link.

http://www.astronomy...om/en/products/

This is a sample picture from my earlier attempts.

#4 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

Thanks guys!  Has anyone used a webcam?  I am trying not to break the budget.  I see Orion has one for $99.  Just wondering....

#5 hargy

hargy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

for lunar and planets i have used the cheap utwo cam. it costs about $49. if you can find one. they stop making them but ebay has em once in a while. i stack about 1500 frames of jupiter and get decent pics. i have had issues with the dsi ii pro on planets. but that may be just me.
LX200R 10 inch Semi Peir Mount, Willam Optics 2.5 inch Guide Scope. Orion Auto Guider CCD. Meade DSI II Pro CCD. Deepsky Stacker, PhotoShop 5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users