• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GhostDog

GhostDog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:14 AM

Well, they called for cloudy/rainy evening in northern Ohio, but at about 9:30pm I looked outside and Jupiter was calling me loud and clear to come out and play - so I did.

I setup the scope and laptop and tried to get some pictures with LPI.  All I could get was a white blob.  No matter what GAIN or Offset I used.  Even played with the exposure - and nothing.  The Auto feature did no better. 

Now, unfortunately Jupiter was right above our street light which is kinda bright - could that have been washing out my image of Jupiter?  I mean it was not right above it - but the scope was definately pointing in the direction of the light.  I really could not get to anyplace to view Jupiter without that darn streetlight being in the way! 

Rather than wasting my time trying to figure this out - thought I would post this question!

Thanks & clear skeis to all!

#2 akjudge

akjudge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:27 AM

Ghostdog,

Here are some settings to try:

Meade LPI; settings: Gain 100, offset 50;.0226 for shutter length; Auto Contrast 21, Shadow enhance 80.

I lifted them from "vomit's" posting (see Planetary Imaging Forum).

Jim

#3 GhostDog

GhostDog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:00 AM

Thanks Jim, next clear sky I will give those settings a try!

#4 wsuriano

wsuriano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

Ghostdog:

A white blob usually means that your exposure is too long.  When imaging an object as bright as Jupiter, you need extremely short exposures.  With the gain and offset set as described above, keep reducing the exposure until the white blob becomes a planet with features.  Do not use the auto settings.

Bill

#5 GhostDog

GhostDog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

Well I was finally able to get a fairly respectable image of Jupiter.

The settings I ended up with were:

Gain:  100
Offset:  50
Shutter Length: .0226
Auto Contrast 64
Shadow Enhance: 178

Here is the image I got - but I only got 1 image even though I let it goto over 300 images - must have done something wrong when I stopped the imaging process. I know I named the images Jupiter - but this one is Planet001.  I was looking forward to using Registax to stack/compress whatever it is called - the images in hopes I would have gotten a higher quality picture.  This one is only 6k in size - so I know I can get a better one if I can get multiple images to process.  But all in all this one is not too bad

Posted Image

#6 firemouth

firemouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationSt.Louis area

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

What size scope are you using and are you using a barlow or other magnifier?
20x50mm Binocs
Meade LS-8 ACF
Celestron SkyScout

#7 GhostDog

GhostDog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:56 AM

Meade 12" LX200 GPS scope with just the LPI - no barlow (yet) - lol

I have a 2x Barlow - but trying to get the LPI to work w/o the barlow first. Not too familiar with the AutoStar Suite.  After clicking the "START" button - I watched as it said1, 2, 3......300+ pics taken - then I hit "STOP" - thought it would have saved all 300+ pics - but could not find them anywhere in the PC.

Prob need to play with it durring the day to famialize myself - then hit the night skies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users