• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GhostDog

GhostDog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:36 AM

I have a LX200 12" GPS telescope and due to weight, have not used it as much as I would like.  I recently purchased a Scopybuggy - which is a mobile base under the tripod that allows me to wheel the telescope in/out of garage when I want to use it. So I am using and enjoying my scope more now  ;D

I played briefly with the LPI the other night with very mixed results.  The one question I do have is this:  Is the LPI a fixed - hmmmmm how to ask this - power?  Meaning when viewing the Moon, I could not get the entire Moon in the image.  Is there a way to reduce the power so the entire Moon would be visible?

Hope that makes sence!

Thanks!

#2 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:17 AM

GhostDog,
  Glad you are able to use your scope more now.  That's a nice scope.  I have the 8" version and it is all I can do to tote it outside.  Yes, the LPI is a 'fixed power'.  Although I have never done it, I would assume you could use a focal reducer to lower the effective power and widen the field of view.  I have used a Barlow lens in front of it to increase the power for planets.  I am sure some others with much more experience than me can give you a definite answer and some good advice.  But those close-ups of the moon can be very impressive to me.  Enjoy your scope.
Russell Hurlbert

#3 GhostDog

GhostDog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:52 AM

Thanks Russell - thats what I thought.

Yeah - really enjoying it more now.  I would recommend the Scopebuggy (or something similar) to those with larger scopes.  I have gotten out more in the last week than I have in the past 3 years - and that isno joke.  Even at 10 - 11pm it is so easy to pull it out into drive if there is something interesting.

Jupiter has been out alot lately - need to try the LPI out.

Here is a pic of my scope on the Scopebuggy.  I am into woodworking - so I plan on making a base to fit on the bottom to hold stuff - eventually - but having too much fun using the scope now to get into workshop to build it - LOL

Posted Image

#4 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:55 AM

That looks like just the trick.  Now all you need is some clear, steady skies.  That is usually the hardest thing for me to come by, that and time.  Enjoy your scope.
Russell Hurlbert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users