7 replies to this topic

#1 grimzella

grimzella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:20 AM

hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here that has an lxd75 mount is having problems with the autostar's setup:align mode.  every time i try to do the easy alignment... the scope  goes to point in a direction not anywhere near the star in the display (Arcturus)  no even close.. way off..  not even in the vacinity... like 5 hrs away..  i am balanced.. i have the correct location, and daylight saving ON.  polar home position.. Calibrated drives.. trained drives.. 3 times.    is there anything i am missing... i am beginning to think i have a bad mount... and i am getting ready to call meade.  is there a way to test and see if my motor or encoder disks are messed up?

thanks in advance..
Dave

#2 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:36 AM

Hi Dave,

You can try going through an alignment during daytime.  Mark the positions of the alignment stars.  Go back to them under select objects.  If the mount does not hit those marks (with allowance for tracking) you know you have a problem.

Russ

#3 grimzella

grimzella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

yes,, none of this worked... i am pretty sure i got one of the LEMON mounts that these telescopes are KNOW FOR..  forums from all over talk about how bad this mount is.. and i trust that i got one too.  oh well  back to meade for a replacement.  i bet i wait over 2 months to get it back....  any takers??

#4 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:42 AM

Hi Dave,

Before you send it back and endure a wait, did you check to see if you might have a loose/non meshed gear?  By opening the small keyhole access port on the motor housing you can view the gears.  They should be fully meshed and show no slippage; it's VERY common for one or more to become disengaged or for a set screw to loosen.

Russ

#5 leshiggins

leshiggins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:38 PM

I'm gonna own up to something really dumb that I did when I first got my LXD75 - but it gave me an aggravating problem very similar to the one you describe. I don't suppose it's the same thing but here goes. Before I twigged that there are two virtually invisible alignment arrowheads on the mount (to give you the home position) I had my telescope mounted, effectively, upside down. Everything left was right, etc. Once I got that sorted out, everything seemed OK ... well, at least, for four nights ... then the drives failed and it's been back at Meade for a repair for the last few weeks ... expecting (hoping) to have a working telescope system next week ......

#6 grimzella

grimzella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:26 PM

thanks for the replies,
yes i did notice the arrows and they were lined up.  i guess i had a bad mount,  because i emaild the website i ordered it from, and explained the problem,  in turn, they called meade.  Since i threatened to send it back to them, under the 30 days.. the site got in contact with meade... and  they are sending a complete scope swapout next week..  everything,  OTA and all.  and i will be sending the bad scope with the call ticket sent with the replacement.  wow,  what customer service.

#7 garya777

garya777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:10 PM

hello there I would like to get alittle help on my sc8lxd75. Icant make heads are tails out of the instruction manual page 20 on training the drive sets 11,12.if anybody knows a easy way to explain this it sure would be helpful          thanks gary

#8 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:33 AM

Hi Gary,

The procedure is designed to compensate for differences in each mounts gear train.  You will need to train both the RA and Dec motors separately.  The instruction asks that as a first step you manually center (as bet you can) a distant object (further the better).  A reticle eyepiece will make this easier but is not necessary.  You can fine tune this center position using the AutoStar handbox at a low speed setting (any speed 1-3 usually works well).  Once centered you press enter.  The scope will move off center and return part way back to its original position.  AutoStar asks you to recenter using the directional arrow key indicted.  When you get close to center, slow the speed down using the number keys as you do not want to overshoot - you cannot ue the opposite arrow key to bring it back.  Once centered press enter.  The scope will now go in the other direction and ask yo to recenter as you have done previously.  This procedure is then repeated for the other axis.

Thi procedure is used for all AutoStar controlled telescopes and the video at http://www.meade.com...os/chap10a.html and http://www.meade.com...os/chap10b.html should help explain this better.

Russ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users