#1 cannon

cannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

I need to know if anyone uses this setup and some help on how to. This is what I have come up with but don't know if it is correct.
#909 plugged into the aux port
Autoguider plugged into the #909 and usb plugged into computer
PHD Guide mount set on-camera
Any other input would be helpfull. I have not fired it up yet and don't want to unless I know what is correct.
Thanks

#2 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:30 PM

I don't think that the Orion ccd will work for guiding on your Meade as the Orion uses the ST-4 protocall .  While it is possible to use the Meade software via an emulator program to guide ST-4 protocall mounts , I am not aware of software that converts st-4 into pulsed signal control .(meade).  Your Starshoot is wired for  Computer to CCD to Autoguider port .
Steve S

As an after thought :  Possibly :  The 909 to the aux port .  computer to ccd  .  computer to guide port on 909 .
Equipment :
12 " Meade LX90 GPS
13.1" Coulter Dobsonian--4sale, 
80mm W.O. - Megrez SD
18" NGT / JMI 
DSI  2 , LPI , Orion SSAG
Modified Canon 400D  XTI
Panasonic DMC FZ50

#3 cannon

cannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:11 PM

The orion guide ccd has a guide output and a usb output. I would assume that the Orion ccd st-4 output would be compatible with the #909 module ccd input.

#4 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

No , they are two different languages .  You would not use the ccd's out (guider out).
It would be wired as such :  laptop to ccd for guide star capture .  laptop to autoguide port on the 909 (the PHD will issue the guide commands to the mount .  and finally laptop to imaging camera .
Steve S
Equipment :
12 " Meade LX90 GPS
80mm W.O. - Megrez SD
18" NGT / JMI 
Modified Canon 400D  XTI
Panasonic DMC FZ50

#5 cannon

cannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

Just found the solution on weasners. The #909 module is plugged into the aux on the mount. The st-4 Orion autoguider is plugged into the #909 module. They both support st-4 commands. The usb from the autoguider is plugged into the computer (com port-2). Phd will run the autoguider. The main camera will use Envisage. (com port-1).  My com 1 is also networked for Autostar and the hand controller. This will not give you pulseguide. If you go the Ascom way it will. It all depends on the way you want to hook it up.

#6 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:23 PM

Good to hear , how about letting us hear how you made out when you try it .  Also how about a link to the Weasner section that covers this .
Thanks ,
Steve S
Equipment :
12 " Meade LX90 GPS
80mm W.O. - Megrez SD
18" NGT / JMI 
Modified Canon 400D  XTI
Panasonic DMC FZ50

#7 cannon

cannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

First look on google for meade ascom #909 drivers.  The Shoestring Astrononomy GPUSB drivers will also work. It is just a clone of the #909.
My space has a tutorial on how to set up Phd with a #909 with pulse guiding.
Soon as I get a chance to try the guider and it works properly, I will e-mail the files to do what I just did to any one who would like them.

#8 cannon

cannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:43 PM

Well I guess I have to eat crow. It will not work unless it is connected to the hand controller. I was wrong.

#9 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:57 AM

Try the laptop to ccd , laptop to auto guider port on the 909 .  Since your running Phd .  (also set mount control to ascom ) . Laptop to handbox for envision program . and finally , laptop to main imaging camera controls .

Steve S
Equipment :
12 " Meade LX90 GPS
80mm W.O. - Megrez SD
18" NGT / JMI 
Modified Canon 400D  XTI
Panasonic DMC FZ50

#10 swede

swede

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:16 AM

Just elaborate on this subject. It seems like the LXD-75 "autoguide" control uses RS232 serial "pulseguide" commands. I have no clue on what that is.  It's not ST-4 commands. But what does the #909 APM module do? Does it convert the "pulseguide" commands into ST-4 commands? There are so many links around that claims that the #909 module really does provide the LXD-75 with a ST-4 autoguider port. 

There are two camps here that claim two opposite truths, one says it does not and the other says it does. Who to believe???

The reason for asking is that the older CCD cameras needed a computer to focus and choose a guide star, but the new ones does not.  They are standalone and uses ST-4.  I really want to go to the bottom of this because there are so many LXD55/75 users out there that would like to have this to work. About half of them would love to be able to autoguide without a computer, like myself.

Swede

#11 eleong2

eleong2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:00 PM

Hi Swede,

The 909 interfaces converts the ST4 signals to control the LXD75 motors through the Aux port on the mount.  Thus bypassing the 497, you could say it is direct connection to the mount drive motors. Since it bypasses the 497 the pulseguide commands are not used.  The ST4 commands come directly from the guiding computer software.  I am currently using the APM909 with my LX10 (OTA) and LXD75 mount combo.  The software that I am using is PHD Guiding through a Shoestring GPUSB ST4 adapter.  My guide camera is a DSI Pro and a converted Meade 8x50mm finder scope.  This combo makes an excellent wide field short focal length guider, plenty of guide stars.  As a note, the APM909 (or clone) will work with the LXD75 when the Autostar 497 firmware is patched, enabling it for other Meade scopes.  You can find the firmware patches in the Mike Weasner’s site http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html .  The standalone ST-4 I think you are referring to is the Orion StarShoot Solitaire Autoguider, which does not require a computer.  The unit is self contained like the old SBIG ST4 autoguider. The Solitaire’s ST4 output is connected directly to the 909 CCD port and the 909 is connected to the LXD75’s AUX port.

Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users