Photo

Post your problems with the DS telescope (sticky)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lindhoutd

lindhoutd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:19 PM

I have noticed alot of people posting for help about their DS series telescopes. So, I decided to make this. Hopefully it will get stickied to the top. So, any problems you have, tell us them and hopefully someone can answer them.  ???

#2 RixWorx

RixWorx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:25 PM

Not a DS Scope but a DS Mount.  I bought it on Astromart.  it was from a SolarMax scope.  I plan to use it on my PST.

Plugged it in for the first time today, and put the PST on to look at the sun.  As I went through the setup, as soon as I selected astronomical targets, the tracking kicked in. NOISY!  i thought, ok that sucks but if it tracks OK.

Well, just to drive the scope to the sun, the speed must be either an 8 or a 9, nothing else seems to move the mount.  located the sun, hit the synch and listened to the grinding.  No it did not track.

So.... Is the noise typical/normal?  Would training the drives help?

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:43 PM

I try to answer as many things about DS mounts and scopes as I can.  I have been through several mounts.  In order to help you, I first need to know which DS mount you have.  Are Both sides of the arm black or is one side more of a silver grey color?

I have posted any number of posts on how to get into and make repairs to DS mounts, but they are quite a ways back.  Let me know the main symptoms.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#4 RixWorx

RixWorx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:10 PM

Hi Bill,

Rick Walker here... yep the ACT one.

This is the single arm, Black with the silver outer cover on the arm  number on the bottom is DS0767476 using the 497 controller.

While in Astronomical target, the tracking noise is loud.  Loud enough that I could easily record the sound with my iPhone video camera.  After retesting, the slew does work at most speeds, though I think the 4 speed is way to slow.  When slewing, the noise is louder and slewing in ALT sounds more like a flexible cable wiggle, but am just guessing.

After leveling, pointing north, slewing to the sun and then syncing, it seemed not to even move to track in either direction.  Today was the first time I tried it, and unfortunately head out of town for a week so did not have time to train drives.

BTW... how the heck to you even open the case to look at the guts of this thing?

I appreciate your help Bill.

Rick

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:43 PM

Hi Rick,

Why don't we get together after the first of the year and we can go through it.

If I hear the sounds, I can tell you more about it.

Right now, I have a virus that you don't want.

One of the big things is getting the mount on 12 volts instead of 9.

Give me a call and we can talk through some things easier.

Bill

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:09 PM

Lindhoutd,

Pretty much, this whole DS Section is the sticky note for people to post their problems.  (smile)

#7 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:32 PM

After a couple of flawless weeks operation of my 2 DS-2114 the gremlins have intruded on both motors. The battery powered one will not quit slewing when in the alignment stage, and the one powered by an
AC/DC converter has a mind of its' own. Even if I am pressing a button on the handbox,it will do something
all on its' own. It just takes off. I did swap handboxes initially, but hey, they worked flawlessly for weeks. All the sudden the gremlins appear. Any ideas anyone? Bill has already been on the case. hehe

Thnaks

#8 Qoriwayrachina

Qoriwayrachina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

Hello there

I purchased DS-2000 Series Mount with Autostar for Coronado SolarMax 60 PST a few days ago. I finally had to time to try yesterday. I managed to observe the Sun manually, but I couldn't track the Sun with Autostar. I have been trying everything written on the manual. Can you help me how can i let the Autostar to track the Sun automatically.

#9 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

Is this a new scope bought from a dealer or is this a combination put together by someone else? Unless there has been special programming put into that particular mount, that I do not know about, there is purposely no code in the programming to allow a DS-2000 to track the sun, since it is designed for normal astronomical scopes.

If this combination came from Meade that way, let me know and I will contact someone and find out about this situation.

Bill Steen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users