• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 tylecch

tylecch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

Well, I've owned a 80 mm celestron go to scope for a couple of years. I loved it. Great images, fun to use.
That was enough to get me hooked.
Then aperture fever hit and I bought an eight inch lightbridge after reading lots of reviews.
The lightbridge has been a major disappointment.  I've had it for a couple of months and the views have been, well, disappointing. I've tried collimating the optics, purchased new eye pieces, taken the scope to rural areas (dark skies) and all I see is tiny points of light. Nothing fantastic.
Just seems like a lot of money for nothing.  Went back to the celestron.

#2 Guest_glenluceskies_*

Guest_glenluceskies_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:54 PM

I am sorry you have had issues. Some questions before you come on here, bag you new purchase then leave...

1. Have you called your dealer/supplier and discussed the issues?

2. Do you properly understand the collimation process?

3. DId you properly research which telescope to would upgrade to?

4. Have you sought advice from your local astonomical club?

I suggest you have jumpe don here in a fit of frustration and not properly thought out your actions.

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

What seems to be the problem with the scope?
Can you explain in detail what disappoints you?

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 hamdul

hamdul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:13 AM

Doesn't that frost you?? Someone bi@*#es about a scop and whe help is offered they just seem to ignore it. I guess some people just like to bitch.
Fred

#5 wsuriano

wsuriano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:53 PM

Every time I look at a Hubble photo, I'm disappointed with what I can see with my humble Meade 8" LX90.  Then again, my Meade scope cost a bit less than the HST.  Unfortunately, I believe some expectations have been spoiled by the vivid pictures we see from the HST and other sources.  We need a Galileo sense of wonder and awe. I recently donated 3 hours of stargazing as part of a fundraiser for a  social service agency.  The person who won the auction had 3 grandchildren who were absolutely overwhelmed when they saw Saturn and, later, Jupiter, among other things.  I am constantly amazed by what's out there, even the fuzzy gray patches.

#6 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

Also remember the human eye only sees objects to a certain point.
It seems a lot of people expect to see in their scopes what you would see in a 4 to 6 hour exposure.
Even in my dark skies and my 10 inch scope there are things I just cant see without a camera.

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#7 tbsmith918

tbsmith918

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationRuckersville, Virginia

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

Mmm...my Lightbridge has never let me down. My favorite pairing is it with my 18mm Explore Scientific. I can sit for hours out under the stars with just my Lightbridge and that eyepiece. I'm thinking "Newbie" does (did) not understand the collimation process. Mine is a clear sharp window into the universe.
Meade 10" Lightbridge

#8 firemouth

firemouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationSt.Louis area

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

No doubt. 8" of aperture will make many people happy coming from an 80mm. I too would say he needed a tool to help him collimate the scope.
20x50mm Binocs
Meade LS-8 ACF
Celestron SkyScout

#9 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

I am sorry to hear someone is that disappointed with an 8 inch lightbridge. I bet we could help him out one way or another.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#10 madebytim

madebytim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

just bought a 16 inch lightbridge AMAZING!! looking forward to computerising with a argo navis

#11 JohnGraham

JohnGraham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationKettering, Ohio

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

I placed an order for a LightBridge 16 last week. I'm anxiously biding my time through the present backorder. I previously used a homebuilt 16.5" f/6.7 Dob and I was weighing the options of refurbing my old scope or buying a LightBridge and decided to give the LightBridge a try. If I ever get my 16.5" back on its feet it'll be fun to set them up next to each other. There's nothing quite like looking through a big scope.

#12 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

Man! that is a big scope!

I have a 14 1/4" f/6.7 that takes a minimum of an 8 foot step ladder for anything near zenith.

I bet the views you get are fantastic.

If you would, please post what you think of the 16 inch light bridge. I have thought about one of those to get off of the ladder more.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#13 JohnGraham

JohnGraham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

My 16.5" f/6.7 is the green scope in my avatar. The scope next to it is a 10" f/6.7 I built some 35 years ago. I love my biggo 16.5" but I'm looking for something a bit more compact and a bit more versatile. And yes, it's a nice climb up a ladder to get to the eyepiece (and to pit it together).

Fun stuff.

-John

#14 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:34 AM

Id like to put that 16 inch on a goto mount for imaging lol.
16 inches of apature would be nice.
In my skies the 10 inch LX200 does a fine job but then again so does mhe 80 mm and 102 mm.
There is no replacemment for dark skies.
I hope you are making good use of the scope and enjoying it
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#15 JohnGraham

JohnGraham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

My long term plan was to put my 16.5" in a small observatory in my back yard. One of these days... In the mean time I love observing with my DSI Pro III. With my LXD75 SN6 I can reach all the way down to about 18th magnitude using 60 second exposures and stacking images live in Envisage. I hope to use the LightBridge for visual to see some of this stuff I've been imaging before my eyes get too bad. I'm also planning on using the boxes that the LightBridge comes in to build a box to either ship my 16.5" out for recoating or to drive it up to Chicago. :)

Heh, heh, I keep checking my order status several times a day like a kid waiting for Christmas. I noticed that on OPT's web site the LB-12s went for 'backorded' to 'in stock' so I'm hoping the LB-16s won't be too far behind, but I'll be patient. I'm using the time to take my 16.5" apart, get the mirror ready for recoating, and get a spot ready to store the LB-16.

-John

#16 JohnGraham

JohnGraham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

Alas, with no end in sight on the Lightbridge 16 backorder I cancelled my order. My homebuilt 16.5" mirror was sent out for recoating today. I was really excited to have an opportunity to own a Lightbridge, but it was also heartbreaking watching the summer observing season slipping away while checking my order status several times a day. Hopefully I'll be in a position to try again if/when the Lightbridge 16 is available.

-John

#17 JohnGraham

JohnGraham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

Refurbing my 16.5" is going much smoother than I thought. It has been in storage for about 10 years, but it's actually in pretty good shape. It's already cleaned up and ready to receive the mirror when it gets back from Clausing. Since this has gone so well I'm in a position to try again with the Lightbridge as soon as there is convincing evidence that they are actually shipping again. At least now I'm in a better position to wait.

-John

#18 AstralStroll

AstralStroll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSouth West of England

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Just took delivery of my 10" LightBridge. Currently in te midst of several weeks of very cloudy weather! Cant wait for a clear sky. Next stage is to "pimp" it up somewhat with a few accesories.

#19 JohnGraham

JohnGraham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

Well, let's try this again. I just placed an order for a 16" Lightbridge, only this time it is supposed to be in stock, so hopefully I'll have it some time next week. The Plan is to set it up as it is originally designed and run it through its paces. I'll probably leave it as-is until spring, then depedning on how well the base holds up I'm anticipating building my own base and rocker for it. Plan-B is to go ahead and build my own base because I'll want one that I can roll through a standard doorway anyway and put the original in storage. It'll be fun either way.

-John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users