2 replies to this topic

#1 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

Chilly here tonight....only 37F.  Managed to get a few shots of Saturn, using the LPI/LX90LNT 8".  About 100 images, set for .bmp, 60% quality, in Envisage.  Post-processing done in Registax.  The 2nd image is an overexposure showing the moons Titan, Rhea & Dione.  Can anyone give me a good/short explanation on how to combine the two images?;D

#2 texas

texas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:07 PM

To combine images, use photo editing software that works with layers like PhotoShop.  With PhotoShop, the following will do it:
1. Open the overexposed image and adjust using levels or curves to improve moon visibility (more contrast).  Ignore Saturn.
2. Duplicate that layer.
3. On this top layer, blur the layer until the moons disappear.
4. Change this layer to difference.  This should remove most of Saturn and darken the background.  Adjust the layer density to soften the effect if needed.
5. Open the processed image, select all and copy.
6. Paste this over the two layers produced above.
7. Turn off the difference layer to show the over exposed Saturn.  Go to the top (processed) layer and center Saturn over the bright image of Saturn, then rotate this top layer (move center to canter of Saturn) to align the rings.
8. Now turn on the difference layer.  Select the lower layer and use the clone tool to copy "space" over the remains of the Saturn fringe as needed.  While on this layer, use the sharpen filter to sharpen the moons.
9. Flatten the layers and save.

A sample using your images is attached.

#3 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:15 PM

To combine images, use photo editing software that works with layers like PhotoShop.  With PhotoShop, the following will do it:
1. Open the overexposed image and adjust using levels or curves to improve moon visibility (more contrast).  Ignore Saturn.
2. Duplicate that layer.
3. On this top layer, blur the layer until the moons disappear.
4. Change this layer to difference.  This should remove most of Saturn and darken the background.  Adjust the layer density to soften the effect if needed.
5. Open the processed image, select all and copy.
6. Paste this over the two layers produced above.
7. Turn off the difference layer to show the over exposed Saturn.  Go to the top (processed) layer and center Saturn over the bright image of Saturn, then rotate this top layer (move center to canter of Saturn) to align the rings.
8. Now turn on the difference layer.  Select the lower layer and use the clone tool to copy "space" over the remains of the Saturn fringe as needed.  While on this layer, use the sharpen filter to sharpen the moons.
9. Flatten the layers and save.

A sample using your images is attached.

Thanks for the advice....I don't have photoshop so I am doomed.....I would love to have an imaging "seminar" with someone who has done it (well) many times.  Does anyone have Envisage settings for the various planets?  I am thinking that it would be nice to get a good focus, plug in your settings and go.  Tonight's endeavours (Saturn) were hit and miss.  It would be nice to study under someone who has "been there, done that".

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users