#1 Avalance

Avalance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:25 AM

Hi all,

got a problem wit a LXD750 Mount.
When i turn on the mount, the RA-motor starts running at hightest speed and does not stop until i turn the power off or get the cable out...

Has someone an idea?

CS
Avalance
  • ClezeripLover and Neracellver like this

#2 hm02

hm02

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

Hi CS!
i had a similar problem!
Open the motor enclosure and look for loose wires that might be causing a groung loop with the chassis!
I have a question.
With your system, can you disable the mount auto tracking?
My pad does not give me the option for viewing in "land" objects (where the siderial tracking is not needed)??
Thanks and good luck
Hector

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

Now is this a LXD 75 or LX 750  they are 2 different mounts.

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 samtarani

samtarani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

I have started having the same problem after many years. The RA randomly starts at the boot right after the date prompt appears. It hangs there for some time while RA is slewing at max speed. I have reset the handbox and reloaded the latest updates 43GG on an LXD55 autostar 497 unit. It started working OK for a while but then it started doing the same thing. Sometimes, it allows me to pass the date prompt point and suddenly stops slewing. I noticed that I could change the slew speed by pressing the number keys when it is slewing like crazy on its own. I also noticed that that when it is seemingly working correctly, I can trigger the RA to slew like hell if I start using the RA buttons on the AS-497 HC and/or try to alight using "Easy" or any other options in the menu.
This problem started after the mount was sitting in the backyard during daytime for several days. Though covered and protected, but the Sun's UV perhaps got the better of it during 80 deg. F temperatures. I was also working on adjusting the backlash on worm gears for better guiding after I did some bearing retrofit on the worm assembly of both Dec and RA axis. Everything was working great until this sudden Autostar radical slewing started. I was able to get very smooth guiding responses too. Any help on this RA uncontrollable behaviour is greatly appreciated.

#5 ed.ves.g

ed.ves.g

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:42 AM

If its a LXD 55/75 replacing the RA gear box or hand controller might work, but I think it would be better if you send it to Meade for a repair.

#6 samtarani

samtarani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

I have started having the same problem after many years. The RA randomly starts at the boot right after the date prompt appears. It hangs there for some time while RA is slewing at max speed. I have reset the handbox and reloaded the latest updates 43GG on an LXD55 autostar 497 unit. It started working OK for a while but then it started doing the same thing. Sometimes, it allows me to pass the date prompt point and suddenly stops slewing. I noticed that I could change the slew speed by pressing the number keys when it is slewing like crazy on its own. I also noticed that that when it is seemingly working correctly, I can trigger the RA to slew like hell if I start using the RA buttons on the AS-497 HC and/or try to alight using "Easy" or any other options in the menu.
This problem started after the mount was sitting in the backyard during daytime for several days. Though covered and protected, but the Sun's UV perhaps got the better of it during 80 deg. F temperatures. I was also working on adjusting the backlash on worm gears for better guiding after I did some bearing retrofit on the worm assembly of both Dec and RA axis. Everything was working great until this sudden Autostar radical slewing started. I was able to get very smooth guiding responses too. Any help on this RA uncontrollable behaviour is greatly appreciated.

Update:I inspected all connectors including the motor housing unit. All seemed fine, the encoders seemed correctly aligned too. I then took the Autostar 497 apart and inspected all the connections too. After everything seemed fine, I cleaned off the contacts and recoat them with touch-key repair kit. 24 hours later, I reset the handset, reloaded the 43GG. It has been working now! I have not been able to make it fail again after several nights of test.
I should also mention that I added a Ferrite Core to the Autostar 497 where it plugs into the base of the panel. I am not sure which one really did the trick, but it seems to be working great now! I hope you can figure out what the cause of this annoying problem is. I was suspecting the 43GG firmware update, but even after reloading back the 43EG followed by a reset and recalibrate, still did not help. However, whatever the problem cause was, it seemed to be gone now! Good luck!!! Please let me know your results.

#7 samtarani

samtarani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

Hi all,

got a problem wit a LXD750 Mount.
When i turn on the mount, the RA-motor starts running at hightest speed and does not stop until i turn the power off or get the cable out...

Has someone an idea?

CS
Avalance

Please read my post. (By Sam Tarani)

#8 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

If the original poster was correct in referring to his mount as an LXD750 then nothing about Autostar applies. In the LXD650/750 and Classic Meade LX200 models this behavior is usually caused by a dirty potentiometer on the encoder interface board (mounted near the drive motor). With the power off, rotating the pot back and forth and then returning it to the original position frequently cures the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users