alignment and LNT

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_poppeh_*

Guest_poppeh_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:12 PM

I'm a new and infrequent user.  Got this great 8" LX90 for Xmas.  Have had it out a few times, and in the beginning it worked great.  After a couple of months (I did take out the batteries) I went to use it again and when it did its automatic alignment, it ended up poining about 180 degrees opposite.  Time and weather didn't allow me to get back to it for another month or so.  Then during initialization a scrolling message stated that the LNT was not in the home position.  Of course there's nothing in the instruction manuals about what that is, and very precious little about the LNT module itself.  The scrolling message said that to get to the LNT home position I am supposed to turn the tube (I presume the telescope tube) counterclockwise until it stops.  So, I did.  All that managed to do was loosen the scope from the tripod.  There was a link on another posting in this forum that has provided a more info on the subject.  In it, it mentions that one of the functions of the LNT is to determine the position of the AZ full CCW stop.  What?  No whwere in the manual does it mention what this is.  Needless to say I'm more confused and at a loss as to what to do.  I've called Meade tech support, but unfortunately I'm not at home during the day to receive any calls.
I'm in pretty desparate straights, and need some help from someone who speaks layman enough to help me understand the problem of initial alighment and the LNT module.  Is there such a thing as the home position?  How do I get it there?  Is there a way to get past the initialization and do a different alignment that will keep?  Help please.  Hank Poppe

#2 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:06 PM

Hi Hank,

There are no hard stops on the LX90; thus no home position.  The LNT should determine level, level the telescope tube, find true north, and then point to the first alignment star.  After centering the alignment star using the telescope eyepiece and hitting the enter key, the scope should move to the second alignment star.  Once centered and after hitting enter again the scope is aligned and ready to go.

Russ

#3 Guest_poppeh_*

Guest_poppeh_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for the response.  At this point I really appreciate it.  I agree that the alignment process should start, but when I turn it on and press 0 to begin the alignment, the LNT message is displayed instead of the slewing to first star message I used to get at the beginning.  Is there something I'm missing here?  Should I ignore the LNT message, go to the menu and try something else?  What I'm seeing is that the alignment procedure is not occurring. 

#4 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:26 AM

Just ignore the LNT message (the LX90 has no home) and hit enter.

#5 Guest_poppeh_*

Guest_poppeh_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:30 AM

Thanks.  Will be getting to try that tomorrow.  Hope it works.

#6 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:33 PM

I think there is a mention of the "home position" in the manual .  I beleive what is meant : the OTA is roughly level and pointed North . That's where I start from before turning the scope on . placing it this way before locking the clutches .
Steve S
Equipment :
12 " Meade LX90 GPS
13.1" Coulter Dobsonian--4sale, 
80mm W.O. - Megrez SD
18" NGT / JMI 
DSI  2 , LPI , Orion SSAG
Modified Canon 400D  XTI
Panasonic DMC FZ50

#7 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:43 AM

Hi Steve,

Getting the tube level and pointing north will speed up the auto align process, but is not strictly necessary.  We tested with the optical tube straight up...it just took longer to find level.  One point that always causes confusion is the "finding north"...most think it is "pointing" north.  It is actually determining the north-south magnetic field, and the telescope often will be pointing directly south when the screen displays 'finding north".

Russ

#8 Guest_viramus_*

Guest_viramus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:10 AM

Check the telescope model you have chosen in the handbox.

Viram

#9 Guest_poppeh_*

Guest_poppeh_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:52 PM

Latest news.  First - thanks for all the replies and encouragement.  I was just about ready to give it up.  I was able to get a train the telescope session in, so that is pretty encouraging.  But, unfortunately the clouds decided to settle over southwest Oklahoma starting Friday night, and they're still here.  So, there wasn't any way to check alignment procedures.  The advice about ignoring the message is so simple, yet a great help.  Kinda makes me wonder why it isn't mentioned in any of the documentation.  As for getting the OTA level.  Well I never did see that acronym anywhere, but I'm presuming it means Optical Tube Assembly?  Some of us aren't kidding when we say we're really beginners at this.  Please, for the sake of other beginners, help us out by spelling things out.  I realize it may be a pain, but it sure helps us.  I will check the handbox for the model.  It was really interesting and great to know that the scope isn't necessarily pointing nort when the alignment is going on.  Anyway, I haven't given up and will continue forward.  Thanks again.  Hank

#10 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:45 PM

Hi Hank,

Meade has been working on DVDs to accompany their scopes, but unfortunately they have not yet done one for the LX90 series.  It is sooo much easier to watch someone go through the various procedures than to read it in a manual.  After doing star parties for several years, I've found that I can teach kids to operate a LX90 in about 15 minutes...and their parents...about 2 hours :-[

You will love this scope once you get familiar with its operation...maybe so much you will need to move to a clear sky location.

Russ

#11 Guest_poppeh_*

Guest_poppeh_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:12 PM

Clear skies, huh?  Normally we do pretty good on that department.  This winter and spring has been pretty wet, though.  The good thing is that the rain has broken a 7 yr drought, so I'm not one to complain about the rain.  The precious few times I did manage to get things working has proved your statement about the scope to be correct.  I do love it.  Just need to get past my frustrations at having to learn new stuff that has been out of my area.  Interesting you should mention about the DVDs.  As an animator, one of the things that has become very apparent is how much a visual aid would help.  Have even entertained doing something, but am very glad to hear Meade is considering the possibility.  2hrs, huh?  Those must have been the smart ones, huh.  Thanks rtanton.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users