• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 charliejm5

charliejm5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:10 AM

i started to update my autostar and the screen was saying it was downloading do not shut off, while the update window said it wasnt connected. i turned off the telescope and now my autostar screen is blank and not responding to commands.  do i have to replace the handbox now. thanks for any help.  charlie

#2 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

No you do not need to replace your 497 AutoStar - just its software that was corrupted when you shut off the telescope (and power to the AutoStar).  You will need to use the safe download mode.  Hook up your connections as before, but when you power up by turning on the telescope hold down both the "enter" and "scroll down" keys.  AutoStar should respond with a safe download message - go ahead and update your software.  Be patient!  In safe download mode it will take about 1 1/2 hours...make sure both laptop and telescope have either Ac adapters or fresh batteries.

Russ

#3 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:01 PM

Also check the screen saver settings and " sleep " time settings on your computer , this can disrupt the update also .
Steve S
Equipment :
12 " Meade LX90 GPS
13.1" Coulter Dobsonian--4sale, 
80mm W.O. - Megrez SD
18" NGT / JMI 
DSI  2 , LPI , Orion SSAG
Modified Canon 400D  XTI
Panasonic DMC FZ50

#4 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:33 PM

Charlie , I went through something similar - look in here :

http://meade4m.com/f....php?topic=75.0

But your saying that the handbox has nothing in the l.e.d.s at all ?  Have you checked the connection of the wire from the handbox to the scope ? 

Steve S
Equipment :
12 " Meade LX90 GPS
80mm W.O. - Megrez SD
18" NGT / JMI 
Modified Canon 400D  XTI
Panasonic DMC FZ50

#5 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:37 PM

This almost sounds as if the zero force ribbon cable that connects the led to the printed circuit in the handbox has come loose - but you have done nothing that should have caused this.  When you turned on the telescope, did you hold down both the enter and scroll down (not the down directional) buttons?

Russ

#6 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:32 AM

OK , so there are 2 issues going on .
  First off , just connect the handbox to the scope and power it up .
What happens ?

Steve S
Equipment :
12 " Meade LX90 GPS
80mm W.O. - Megrez SD
18" NGT / JMI 
Modified Canon 400D  XTI
Panasonic DMC FZ50

#7 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:24 AM

If you disconnect the serial cable from the handbox and power up, do you have a display?

Russ

#8 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:30 AM

Let's try powering up in the safe mode (enter+scroll down) without the serial cable connector plugged into the  handbox.  If it gives us a safe download message, then we can suspect a serial cable connector/wire problem.

Russ 

#9 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

Do you have an AC adapter for your scope ? If not put  fresh batteries in your scope and try again . Don't use your "other" power supply unit , unplug serial port cable from the handbox .

I have heard of some "other" power supply units causing problems : The volts may be correct but the milli amprigde may be not enough .

Give this a try and lets see if it corrects the first issue .

Steve S
Equipment :
12 " Meade LX90 GPS
80mm W.O. - Megrez SD
18" NGT / JMI 
Modified Canon 400D  XTI
Panasonic DMC FZ50

#10 charliejm5

charliejm5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:37 PM

I replaced the batteries with fresh ones and turned it on but still get nothing although it looked like a set of coordinates appeared briefly and then the screen went blank again.  i also tried a safe mode start and got nothing.

#11 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

In that case , I would think back to what Russ said about the ribbon connection to the l e d screen .

Russ : where to from here ?

Steve S
Equipment :
12 " Meade LX90 GPS
80mm W.O. - Megrez SD
18" NGT / JMI 
Modified Canon 400D  XTI
Panasonic DMC FZ50

#12 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:30 AM

To check the ribbon cable the handbox will need to be opened by removing the four small phiillips screws on its back.  The inside is very simple and the ribbon cable is easily seen.  When reassembling make certain that the small red plastic lens (for the red light) is back in place.

Russ

#13 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:22 AM

You should see a flexible cable connecting the led to the pc inside.

#14 charliejm5

charliejm5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:31 AM

is it the wide plastic thing or do i have to turn it over. I think i know what you mean and i was able to push down a bit on the left side. i reassembled it and tried again but still get nothing when i turn the power on.

#15 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:29 AM

Where you able to check both ends of the connecting ribbon ?
Steve S
Equipment :
12 " Meade LX90 GPS
80mm W.O. - Megrez SD
18" NGT / JMI 
Modified Canon 400D  XTI
Panasonic DMC FZ50

#16 charliejm5

charliejm5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:37 AM

Thanks everyone but i'm gonna send it back to meade and use it as a spare, as i bought one on ebay and hopefully i get it soon.

#17 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:22 AM

Hi Charlie,

Remember that the brain is in the 497 and that it must be reset and mated to your telescope (drive training and sensor calibration).

Russ

#18 charliejm5

charliejm5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

Hello again, thanks for telling me I didnt know that. will it give me directions ? i don't think i had to last time as it was a display model when i bought it. I was looking at a manual from meade and some of it is covered so i'll see what i have to do. I see the part about training the drive but not about the sensor calibration. is it the same as the motor calibration? Thanks again.

#19 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:03 AM

Hello again, thanks for telling me I didnt know that. will it give me directions ? i don't think i had to last time as it was a display model when i bought it. I was looking at a manual from meade and some of it is covered so i'll see what i have to do. I see the part about training the drive but not about the sensor calibration. is it the same as the motor calibration? Thanks again.

Charlie, it is most often overlooked. Even swapping 497s from LX90 to LX90 it needs to go through this process.  On a new AutoStar it calibrates the motors (encoders) on its first boot up.  With your ebay unit you will want to go to select item>reset as your first step this will clear its memory and settings from the other telescope.  AutoStar will reboot and go through the initialization questions (scope type, etc).  You will then need to train the drives which is best done during the daytime.  Your LX90 is a GPS unit and the sensors will need to be calibrated at night (select item>setup>telescope>calibrate sensors).  This almost like the first step of your normal automatic alignment.  It goes through it normal start up dance but instead pointing to its first alignment star it points to where it thinks Polaris is and asks that you center it with the handbox.  After centering and pressing enter, your new 497 will be ready to go.

Russ

#20 charliejm5

charliejm5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:47 PM

Great thanks that makes it easier.  I dont think mine has a GPS  because its about 6 yrs old. In fact today is the anniversary of the day i bought it in 01. Anyway i think its OK now but i'll have to try it to make sure. Will keep you posted. Thanks again Russ.
Charlie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users