• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgeC

GeorgeC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

My MySky stopped working. It constantly froze when trying to get location and time from GPS, or when trying to enter manually.
After a large number of attempts to get the updater working, all the updater succeeded in doing was deleting everything from the SD card.
I eventually got the firmware installed on the card, but I don't have any data files. The folders in Autostar are blank.
Can any kind soul tell me where I can get replacement data files?
Thanks,
George

#2 GeorgeC

GeorgeC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:46 AM

This is an official Meade site, correct?
If so, I am amazed that nobody from Meade has responded to my request.
I am now very hesitant to buy any Meade products if this is the level of customer care that they exhibit.

#3 mm5agm

mm5agm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:12 PM

Hi,
I'm amazed as well. I have a mySKY plus bought from someone who only used it 3 times and I'm in a similar situation to you. I downloaded the update as per the instructions in the manual (booklet) on page 7 section Updating mySKY software. Now I have a dead mySKY !! I've checked loads of sites on the internet and there's lots of people in the same position. I have a load of meade gear - LX90 and loads of meade lenses. It's made me think twice about buying anything else Meade.
Colin

#4 mm5agm

mm5agm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:04 PM

I should have also added. Before I tried to update my mySKY plus, I copied all the files from the sd card to my PC thinking that, if anything went wrong, I'd be able to copy them back. This doesn't work. Copying the files back to the sd card still leaves you with a bust mySKY plus. Once you have destroyed you mySKY's ability to work you do the next obvious thing. You open up the AutoStar software and discover there's a "Product Updates" option under the "Telescope" option. Yes you think - that will sort things. So you try to run it and get the message "Autostar Update Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". Panic mode kicks in. You go to the Meade website and discover there's a program called AutoStar Suite Version 5.0 - http://www.meade.com.../downloads.html - thank goodness you think. You download it and install. There's a mySKY update icon. You hold your breath and try it. Same as before. SD card programmed and verified but mySKY doesn't work. You go into the newly installed AutoStar and find that it too has a "Product Updates" option under the "Telescope" option. You hold your breath, it run the update. You start to cry - you've got the same message as before - "Autostar Update Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". At this point, you go to the official Meade 4M forum. You see that there is a forum for the mySKY Explorer. You think the answer will be there but no, you are dismayed to see others have problems and have had for months WITH NO ANSWER from MEADE!!!
So what do I do now? Come on Meade - do something about this mess or you'll lose customers. There's even a post in this forum "I rate the mySKY as a "do not buy" item". without a comment from Meade. How many customers has this post alone cost you?
Colin - hoping beyond hope that I didn't waste lots of money.

#5 mm5agm

mm5agm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:49 AM

Is anyone from Meade reading this?
I need to know how to get mySKY working again  ???

#6 mm5agm

mm5agm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:23 AM

Oh no - just noticed the banner on the forum "Join us at Meade for Astronomy Day 2007"

2007 ???
Guess Meade don't come here anymore.
Colin.

#7 jimsz

jimsz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:03 AM

Meade never had a presence on these forums, it is a user to user site.

As for your MySky, meade has discontinued the product.

#8 mm5agm

mm5agm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

It's not discontinued in UK.

#9 jimsz

jimsz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

it may not show as discontinued yet, but it will.  telescope providers in the US have been listing it and confirming it as a meade product that is no longer made and they are simply emptying out the supply chain.

#10 mm5agm

mm5agm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

Just my luck  ???
Buy something that breaks when you read the manual and do what it said (and that was a first), then dicover it's a common problem that the manufacturer ignores  >:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users