• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TimBurns

TimBurns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:05 PM

Well, I broke down and took advantage of the pre-holiday sales and bought a MySky Plus for myself (christmas present from Santa  ;)  ) and one for my parents.  It's probably a good thing I didn't first read the various gripes on this forum or I never would have purchased them.

The other night I finally had some clear skies to try it out and was quite dismayed when I pointed the MySky at Gemini and the SkyMap said I was pointing at Pegasus!  Fortunately I know my constellations and didn't waste a bunch of time trying to incorrectly identify things.

I tried again this evening and after multiple trial/error attempts finally realized that even though you enter in your physical location (Carson City, NV for me) you need to enter in GMT, not your local time, in order to get it to point correctly.  I don't know if that is intentional, a bug in v1.3b, or an anomaly of my unit, but after that realization I was quite pleased with it's performance.  In the future I will try to be more careful that the unit calibrates on a perfectly level surface away from metal objects, because this evening pointing accuracy was dead-on towards the east, but off by a couple degrees to the west (although was also dead-on with Venus on the western horizon).  This probably doesn't surprise anybody who has done a quick alignment of a go-to scope.  I'm sure more careful calibration will improve overall accuracy.

So would I recommend this product?  It's probably too early to say with only one real night under the sky, but so far I'm pleased.  The GMT time issue is a bit worrisome and someone who is brand new to astronomy probably would not figure it out on their own... the instructions certainly imply you should use local time (it even says that it compensates for daylight saving time automatically).  There was also nothing for the MySky under the 'Troubleshooting' section of the Meade website.  Guess I'll need to call my parents in Arizona and see how their MySky is working... and tell them how to get it working correctly if they're having the same problems.

#2 Mrhamps

Mrhamps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the GMT tip. I have received a MySky Plus as a present today. On initial testing in Spain it seemed to be about 15 degrees out. However, I was using local time, so I changed to GMT and the device gave accurate readings. So, once again thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users