22 replies to this topic

#1 ryelton

ryelton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

Hi all,

I’m hoping someone out there might have an idea as to what’s going on with Autostar Suite and my computer. I recently replaced my old Gateway with Windows XP and SP3 with an HP and the same O/S and SP 3. I’m using the RadioShack serial cable. I downloaded and installed AutoStar Suite (5.0), and Envisage (7.05) from the Meade website.

The problem:
Trying to get Remote Handbox to work. I’ve found numerous threads regarding this question, but none that cover specifically what I’m seeing. I’ve tried entering 1, 2, and 3 in the com port box and get the response - “Error: Port already in use or not present.” This, I expect. But when I try putting 4 in the com port box, it begins to initialize and then I get another error message - “Error: Node Allocation Failure.” This is as close as I’ve been able to get. Everything worked just fine with the old Gateway but I’m stumped with this one.

Is there anything I can do to clear that error and let it complete the initialization process?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Ron

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:10 AM

Try entering it as EG Com1 or Com2 and so forth.

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 ryelton

ryelton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

Hi Mark,
Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately, your suggestion didn't do the trick. With my old laptop I just had a "4" in the comm port box and it worked just fine. The box is small - just enough room for maybe three numbers - but I did try Com1, Com2..... with no luck. Still get the same error message.

Any other thoughts? My frustration level is definitely on the rise.

Thanks,
Ron

#4 DSOMAN

DSOMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:23 PM

Ron,

You should be able to connect to Com 1 as long as it is not is use by something else. Did you try checking it in the device manager to make sure it is operating correctly and the settings are ok? Also is there any other device you can connect to Com 1 to check that the port is functioning?

Normally if Auto Star can't connect to the handbox you just get a timeout error.

If everything checks out I would try uninstalling Autostar Suite and reinstalling.

Brent

#5 ryelton

ryelton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:38 PM

Hey Brent,
Thanks for the reply - I'll check that. Can't get to it until next week, though.

Thanks,
Ron

#6 brunoworld

brunoworld

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:45 AM

Hello,
In the update program Au2.exe, to download from Meade, is a function, which checks, on which comport the scope is working.
gr
brunoworld

#7 wthomas195

wthomas195

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:13 AM

I too have this port problem. I am unable to obtain a "free" port for Envisage. Further I cant get Envisage 7.1 to Initialize when I download it. Other files in the same autostar folder will open but Envisage wont. Get error message "error 0XC0000135 Application failed to initialize". This on a later Dell GX620 running Win XP-Pro. It will initialize O.K. on an earlier Dell GX260 running Win XP home. Any ideas?

Web

#8 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:37 AM

Update Envisage.
http://www.meade.com...isage_v7.05.exe
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#9 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:38 AM

Also make sure your .NET platform is up to date.
You can get that update from Microsoft.

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#10 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:43 AM

This may also help you set it up
http://autostarsuite...hread/3246.aspx
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#11 KaosDad

KaosDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:07 PM

???  FNG Here!

So, I have tried all of the above, still no go connecting my PC to my ETX 125 PE.  I will note that I am using a USB to serial port device.  The most common error I get is node allocation error.

Now, I note that there is a download for USB -> serial on the Meade web site, http://www.meade.com...al/USB_SER.html

but it appears to be for the Pictor software package.

Am I missing something on this web-page and I need to the software, or what?
"What am I look..no, wait...seriously? Is that Jupiter????" - My daughter's first look at the planets.

#12 noslenwerdna

noslenwerdna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

Hi all,

I’m hoping someone out there might have an idea as to what’s going on with Autostar Suite and my computer. I recently replaced my old Gateway with Windows XP and SP3 with an HP and the same O/S and SP 3. I’m using the RadioShack serial cable. I downloaded and installed AutoStar Suite (5.0), and Envisage (7.05) from the Meade website.

The problem:
Trying to get Remote Handbox to work. I’ve found numerous threads regarding this question, but none that cover specifically what I’m seeing. I’ve tried entering 1, 2, and 3 in the com port box and get the response - “Error: Port already in use or not present.” This, I expect. But when I try putting 4 in the com port box, it begins to initialize and then I get another error message - “Error: Node Allocation Failure.” This is as close as I’ve been able to get. Everything worked just fine with the old Gateway but I’m stumped with this one.

Is there anything I can do to clear that error and let it complete the initialization process?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Ron

Iam haveing the exact same problem, the only diffference is that I am using com5 and I have also tried 127.0.0.1 and neither work for me

#13 John S.

John S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

No one has mentioned installing a driver for the USB-Serial port adapter cable. Without it, the USB port cannot emulate a RS232 port and you won't be able to connect. Also, I recall that not all USB-serial adapters work. Personally I use a cheapo Bestbuy home brand cable.

John
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

#14 KaosDad

KaosDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:22 PM

Right - I installed the driver that came with the USB->serial device.  Has anyone used the Meade specific driver?
"What am I look..no, wait...seriously? Is that Jupiter????" - My daughter's first look at the planets.

#15 noslenwerdna

noslenwerdna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:52 PM

In my case it's not the USB, I know this because the connection works fine in all of the other applications of Autostar suite except for the remote handbox control progran. As soon as I try to connect, I get "initalizing" in the program window and immediately a pop up window with the node allocation error. It doesnt matter if I try to connect directly or through the network, I get the same problem. And, yes Autostar Suite works fine both ways, just not remote handbox, which is a real shame as it looks like it would be the way to go.

#16 KaosDad

KaosDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:46 PM

I officially blame the Government.  ???

Seriously - is this just a total mystery?

#17 gus

gus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:47 PM

hi i found this problem to get around it you can not be  connected to the planetarium view and work the on screen hand controller at the same time it one or the other.uncheck the tick in the planetarium connection box then go to the hand controller and tick connect and bobs your uncle it worked for me.

gus from scotland u.k

#18 noslenwerdna

noslenwerdna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:17 PM

Were you having the error "node allocation failure" because I have the problem even if I am only running the remote handbox aplication by itself. I am using it on an lx90 w/ 497EP autostar... Maybe it is the EP version?

#19 KaosDad

KaosDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:13 PM

Well, I'm almost there.  I think.  I retraced all of my steps today and all of the sudden the scope & the PC started talking.  Here is what I did:

1) Shut everything down.
2) Connect the USB -> Serial cable, then the adaptor, then run the 4 pin telephone like cable from the serial adaptor to the HANDSET.
3) Turn on the scope, turn on the PC.
4) Once the PC boots up, click Start, then RIGHT CLICK on "My Computer" & Select "Properties"
5) Click on the Hardware tab then Device Manager
6) Expand "Ports"
7) Double click on your "USB to Serial port bridge" or similar product
;D Click port settings
9) Fire up Auto star & resize so you can see it AND the COM setting from Device manager.
10 ) Select Telescope -> Communications -> Serial Communications Setup
11) Make certain these settings match each other.  If not, adjust the setting from Autostar to match the PC.
12) Click OK, then select Telescope -> protocol -> serial port
13) You should get a pop up warning, select OK then go.

Hope this helps y'all!

#20 noslenwerdna

noslenwerdna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:54 PM

Okay, so then what do you do after all of that and you receive the Error: Node Allocation Failure message?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users