13 replies to this topic

#1 midcon07

midcon07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:39 AM

Is anyone using or is it possible to use PHD Guiding (Stark Labs) with the LXD75 mount?

#2 DSOMAN

DSOMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:46 AM

Phd guiding works great with the LX75 mount. Download the ASCOM driver off the Stark-Labs website and connect from the com port to the extra port on the handbox.

Brent

#3 midcon07

midcon07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:08 PM

Thanks Brent. I've tried connecting but can't seem to get it to do so. I did download the modified ASCOM driver that Stark's website said works with Autostar. In trying to connect to PHD I received one error message that refered to ASCOM and the other to the comm port.
I used to be able to connect the telescope to the Meade Envisage program through the serial port/usb connection but I can't even seem to get that connected anymore. I did buy a Blue Star from Orion and it works great, no connection problem at all and I use it with Starry Night.
If you've got some ideas on how to make the actual connections work I'm ready to listen and if needed will hook everything up and get the exact error messages.

#4 DSOMAN

DSOMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

Ok, here is what I had and I know it works: PC is a WinXP SP2 desktop. I downloaded the ASCOM 4.1 driver from the Stark-Labs site. I would reccommend you uninstall any other ASCOM drivers you might have on the machine and use that one.

In Phd be sure you have ASCOM selected under MOUNT. When you select the "connect to telescope" icon you should see a menu. Select "Meade Telescope & Focuser".  In Properties be sure to check the "use new pulse guide mode". It will also ask which COM port you want to use to connect to the handbox.

I used a 9 pin COM port to 4 wire telephone connector [RJ11] adaptor on the PC. This connects directly to the RJ11 port on the handbox. When you try to connect to the mount in Phd you should see the NO Scope msg change to Scope.

If you have USB only I believe you can buy the cable/adaptor from Shoestring Astronomy.

Hope this helps, let me know if there are problems.

Brent

#5 midcon07

midcon07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:05 PM

Thanks again Brent. Weather is lousy here today/tonight so I won't be setting up but I'll check it out as soon as possible.

#6 DSOMAN

DSOMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:17 AM

I forgot to mention that a standard 4 pin telephone cord from the computer to the handbox will not work, the pinouts are different. You will need to get the Meade #505 cable or make you own. You can buy a 9pin D connector from Radio Shack and a standard 4 wire phone cord and wire as shown in the link below, it will then work fine.

http://www.weasner.c...s_cable505.html

Brent

#7 midcon07

midcon07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:20 PM

Things did not go well tonight. Got the following error messages:
PHD Error Messages
No 1. ASCOM driver problem during connection
No 2. Failed to load driver. Only one program can use this telescope.
Envisage Error Message
Telescope - Invalid IP address. Scope connect error. The registered name is valid but does not have correct associated data.
-------------------------
I read your message about the 505 cable and that may be the problem with PHD. However the telephone cable to RS232/USB converter is the same one I used when I was able to connect with Envisage last spring.
------------------------
About that 505 cable; There was a cable inside the box my DSI came with. I've never known what is was or what it does. Could that be the 505?
------------------------
This whole deal really has me over a barrel.

#8 DSOMAN

DSOMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:50 AM

Ok, a few basic things first. Lets stick with Envisage until that is working again. The fact that it was working says allot. Was it working on the same PC?

This may be obvious but I'll ask it anyway. Are you sure you are connected to the correct com port as selected in Envisage? Are you sure the com port is functioning.

Be sure no other programs are running that might be using the com port or trying to connect to the scope.

Try a different cable. Long shot but it happens.

Do you have any other software [star map etc] that can connect to the handbox?

Brent

#9 DSOMAN

DSOMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:35 PM

Also: You should not be getting an error msg regarding an IP address but it will show up if an IP address is somehow entered in the port window next to the connect button or a com port is not selected. This is not used. Be sure you clear out any text next to the connect button in "telescope" in Envisage and type in com1. The only message you should get if Envisage can't connect is "scope not found".

It's been a long time but I believe you get the serial interface adapter and coil cord to connect the PC to the handbox with the handbox. The serial adapter is modified to provide the correct wiring.

See this link for additional info.
http://www.meade.com...5ccs/index.html

Once you get Envisage talking to the mount [which will verify the interface] we can tackle the Phd interface.

Brent

#10 flyingairedale

flyingairedale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:29 AM

Did you ever get PHD guiding working?  I received similar error messages until I installed the ASCOM platform on my laptop.  Then I installed the Meade driver.  After that, everything worked.

ASCOM platform, then meade driver.  I actually grabbed a software developer at the Peach State Star Gaze to help me through the installation process.

Tim

Things did not go well tonight. Got the following error messages:
PHD Error Messages
No 1. ASCOM driver problem during connection
No 2. Failed to load driver. Only one program can use this telescope.
Envisage Error Message
Telescope - Invalid IP address. Scope connect error. The registered name is valid but does not have correct associated data.
-------------------------
I read your message about the 505 cable and that may be the problem with PHD. However the telephone cable to RS232/USB converter is the same one I used when I was able to connect with Envisage last spring.
------------------------
About that 505 cable; There was a cable inside the box my DSI came with. I've never known what is was or what it does. Could that be the 505?
------------------------
This whole deal really has me over a barrel.

#11 midcon07

midcon07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

Tim, Sorry I didn't see your message earlier; have been out of town for a while. I'll try your suggestion and hopefully that'll solve the problem. Thx.

#12 midcon07

midcon07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

I finally got everybody "talking" to each other and thought I was downtown however after 61, .5 second focus shots the program gave me an RA error saying the star hadn't moved enough. I tried different speeds up to 3 sec but everytime it hits 61 it stops and gives that error message. I haven't been able to get out much due to either the moon or constant clouds when the moons not a factor.
Trying to run down what this RA problem is.

#13 DSOMAN

DSOMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

If I understand yor correctly you are referring to the fact that PHD attempts to calibrate and after 61 attempts to move the scope in RA it gives up.

If PHD can't see the guide star move it will keep trying until it gets to around 60 attempts then will give you the error message you are seeing. This is due to one of two things: 1: Phd is unable to communicate with your mount. It is sending movement commands but the mount is not responding or 2: The step size is so small that Phd can't get enough star movement to calibrate. In Phd try setting the "calibration step ms" to 1500 or 2000. If the star does not move then there is a communications issue with the mount.

Brent

#14 paconi420169

paconi420169

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

hello guys, i have a couple of questions about my telescope i got this meade lxd 75 series telescope as a gift from my mom, and i have no clue what so ever to do with it nether do my friends, i think i put it together the right way cause it moves and stuff but i just dont know how to see stuff. my question is why is this thing so complicataded and should i sell it :'(?????????????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users