4 replies to this topic

#1 stevethemusicman

stevethemusicman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:57 AM

Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my LX90 UHTC GPS. Has anyone had any experience with the filter set?

Thanks

Steve

#2 Larry Alvarez

Larry Alvarez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:53 AM

Hello Steve.  I've used one for years but I use it on a refractor.  Those big SCT's are too big for me to carry these days.  For your Sct you'd probably want to go with a 90mm Solarmax filter and BF30 configuration.  The BF15 may be too restrictive to show you a full disk.  The main etalon filter (front filter) is really durable and built like a reinforced brick.  It is sensitive to sharp blows or drops so make sure you keep it secure when not in use.  The rear blocking filter is a little more suseptable to the elements.  You'll probably want to store it in an air tight container that has a pack of silica in it to keep moisture out.  The coating on it tend to rust or corrode over a period of a year or two if not properly stored.  They are warrented for 5 years though so if something should go wrong you can use the RGA system on the 4m site to get it fixed.  I've had a one go out on me but it was quickly fixed.  A degraded filter still works it just has a dimmer image.  The front filter though is not the same material and lasts forever. 

You can see detail beyond detail.  The surface really comes alive in visual use.  Photographically it performs the opposite of nighttime viewing.  At night, long exposures with low noise ccds are the best.  For daytime imaging short exposures with non-cooled ccds work really well. 

You run into different obstacles during the day compared to nighttime.  During the day your equipment heats up so its best to keep it under the shade while viewing or imaging.  You also have to worry about direct sunlight exposure so some good sunblock or a good covering for yourself is also recommended.

Posted Image

#3 jgilmore911

jgilmore911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:10 PM

I was just wondering what equipment was used to make the image in the previous post.

I have a Tele Vue NP-101 and I'm considreing buying a SolarMax 90mm filter but it's a lot of money and I'm not sure what quality of visual image to expect.  Can anyone help here?  Am I likely to achieve anything like the quality displayed above?

#4 Philip Pugh

Philip Pugh

Sir Philip Pugh, AKA Astrochav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationBased in South West England and Wales

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:38 AM

I have to disclose a personal bias in my admiration of Larry's photos, as he's one of the major co-authors of "my" book. One thing I don't know if Larry or anyone else has done recently is to benchmark larger-aperture Coronado solutions against the Coronado ones.

If you use a set of filters in the terminal light path, there is no restriction to the maximum aperture that can be used. However, I'd check exactly how much light is getting through and consider some sort of neutral density filter. Also, some reflectors (especially Newtonians I believe) are vulnerable if used for solar viewing without some sort of full aperture filter. The advantage of large aperture solutions is that they allow fine resolution of detail.

I'd love to unleash the full aperture of my 127mm Maksutov on the Sun but I guess it's just a dream at the moment.

#5 Philip Pugh

Philip Pugh

Sir Philip Pugh, AKA Astrochav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationBased in South West England and Wales

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

P.S. If you look under "Sun Links" on the webpage below, Larry's site can be accessed from it:

http://philippugh.fo....com/Links.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users