• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 frisby

frisby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:18 PM

I installed the driver for the PC camera, when I tried to run the software - Start, All Programs, USB 2.0 Camera, I do not get  "Meade PC Camera" as an option.  I get PCCam.  It works but does not have any of the user interface indicated in the Instruction Manual.  i.e. Camera settings of Daytime, Nighttime, Moon/Ploanet, or Snapshot/Video options. I uninstalled it (maybe it was a previous PC Camera) then reinstalled the software from the DVD.  Same result.  Also, the drive is dated 1997. Any suggestions?

#2 frisby

frisby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:10 PM

Spoke with Meade today - said the driver is not Vista compatable - only XP.  OK, so I go home and install the s/w on my XP PC - guess what?  Same thing.  Selecting USB 2.0 Camera does not show Meade PC Camera as the manual states.  And the s/w is not anything like the manual states.  By the way the manual is copyrighted 2008 (when was Vista distributed?).  Two phone calls to Meade and it appears my CD does not have the correct software and another CD is being mailed.

#3 sxiniasgreece

sxiniasgreece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:13 AM

Frisby,

Just keep the faith a little longer.  Microsoft announced today that they were dropping Vista.  Apparently too many bugs to fix.  I was considering purchasing the Meade PC camera but thanks to your posting and some others elsewhere on the internet, I have changed my mine.  Thanks for the posting and I do hope you get your camera working.

Joe Ashley

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:46 AM

Joe,
Where did you see Microsoft was dropping Vista at?
cold you post the link?

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#5 sxiniasgreece

sxiniasgreece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:53 AM

Mark,

The new york times  The link is http://www.nytimes.c...a1&oref=slogin 

Also at informationweek.com
http://www.informati...cleID=211601338

Joe

#6 Joshua

Joshua

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

My DS2114 reflector came with the PC camera and I experience the same problems as well.  The software does not match the manual, made it confusing to set up so it sits in the box.

Does Meade offer updated software available for download on site?

#7 frisby

frisby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:08 PM

I bought my telescope with camera at Sams Club.  I believe the camera and software are not the camera and software indicated in the manual.  I received a replacement CD from Meade.  The label and date is the same, but the software does not recognize the PC camera.  In fact the camera will not turn on.  I had the software on my main PC and my laptop, so I was able to do some trouble shooting before deciding the camera was wrong.  After several uninstalls and installs, I have given up and am using the old software.

#8 johnlf

johnlf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

I also purchased same from SAMS. The software does not match what is in the manual. Camera sort of works, but from what I can see it is poor quality of camera and does not work for stars. I tried experimenting with it and find it is very limited. I get very blurred images even in daylight. I also am using Vista and did not have a problem loading the software or getting it to work, however I don't believe the software is really for use in taking pictures of anything astronomically. The special settings for that are just not there in this software to allow it.

#9 fluvannabear

fluvannabear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:35 PM

Hello all: New guy here.  Just got my setup from SAMs as well and every time I try to open the software for the camera my computer crashes. Have XP Pro SP3 installed along with a USB2.0 board.  My screen flashes to the camera menue screen just before it crashes and initiates a boot. Will mess with it more later but tend to agree the software does not match the manual.  Would like to get it to work since i paid for it. Anyway, take care and let us know what happens with Meade.  Burt

#10 fluvannabear

fluvannabear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:21 AM

Hello All: Just a follow-up on my post.  Contacted Francisco at Meade Customer Service yesterday and he is sending me a "new" CD to try to get my camer up and running.  Also sending the Bubble Level / Compass that was not included, but should have been, in the box. Will post results once the software gets here.  By the way, also tried the camera using Microsoft 2000 Pro and it does the same thing. Crash!  Take care.  Burt

#11 John M

John M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:30 AM

I also picked up a DS2114 from Sam's Club and I've gotten the USB camera working (sort of).  The software on the disk doesn't seem to match that described in the accompanying instruction sheet.  Oh well. 

I got my laptop (MacBook running WinXP) to recognize the camera as "USB 2.0 Video Camera" using the driver supplied on the CD.  If I plug the camera into the computer and open "Control Panel", I can see it as a video device.  If I double-click on the Control Panel symbol, a window opens showing me live video from the camera.  If I click the remote shutter release on the camera cord, it takes a still picture (which you can save).

If you click the button on the camera (not on the remote release), another window pops up labelled "AMCAM"; this window allows you to capture streaming video and save it to a .AVI file; you can set recording time and frame rate as well as max file size.  From what I've read, streaming video files are useful for image processing  programs like REGISTAX.

I tried it out quickly last night with some video of the moon...worked pretty well.  So maybe there is hope.

I've also seen articles on the web about changing the XP registry name entry from "USB 2.0 Video Camera" to "Meade LPI" to get Envisage to recognize the USB camera.  I haven't done that yet, but I may give it a try.

Cheers!

#12 constantandtrue

constantandtrue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:05 AM

Please inform if there has been any resolution to using this device on Vista. My system does not recognize the driver when the USB is plugged in.

#13 Bo

Bo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

Hello all: New guy here.  Just got my setup from SAMs as well and every time I try to open the software for the camera my computer crashes. Have XP Pro SP3 installed along with a USB2.0 board.  My screen flashes to the camera menue screen just before it crashes and initiates a boot. Will mess with it more later but tend to agree the software does not match the manual.  Would like to get it to work since i paid for it. Anyway, take care and let us know what happens with Meade.  Burt

problem is that your computer is either: under powered via CPU or Main Memory.... either will blue screen your computer...

#14 Starjumper

Starjumper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:04 AM

Hi,
Can any of you guys give me any tech specs for this little camera, I need to know the pixel size.
Thanks
John

#15 MuseOfLife

MuseOfLife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:04 AM

My brother advised me to use this CD cover maker.  Now I’m totally satisfied with it.

#16 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:57 AM

John,
The LPI imager and the camera that comes with the 70 mm scopes are 2 different imagers.
The fix you read about is for the LPI and trust cam issues with Vista and wont work for the USB 2 cam that came with the 70 mm scope.

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#17 jim_marsh

jim_marsh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

I installed the driver for the PC camera, when I tried to run the software - Start, All Programs, USB 2.0 Camera, I do not get  "Meade PC Camera" as an option.  I get PCCam.  It works but does not have any of the user interface indicated in the Instruction Manual.  i.e. Camera settings of Daytime, Nighttime, Moon/Ploanet, or Snapshot/Video options. I uninstalled it (maybe it was a previous PC Camera) then reinstalled the software from the DVD.  Same result.  Also, the drive is dated 1997. Any suggestions?

Has a driver been posted for this camera? I cannot get mine to work!

Thanks,
jim

#18 can149

can149

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

Hi. Does anyone has this usb 2.0 camera driver? I cant find the driver anywhere... Help please

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users