• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 N7OQ

N7OQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:29 PM

When I upgraded my Autostar Suite I noticed a new feature under the image tab called DSLR control that will control the DSLR shutter. I connected a USB to serial adapter and with a VOM meter I noticed that when you command the shutter open you toggle the RTS line on pin 7. So I made a interface using a opto isolator connected it to my camera and it works like a champ. So I checked out the mirror lock up and didn't see a line toggle with that command. So how does the lock up function work?  Anyone here have any info about this neat little program, it is exactly what I need so I don't have to keeping manually opening and closing the shutter. Thanks and clear skies.
Bill

#2 N7OQ

N7OQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:39 PM

OK I figured it out myself, when you check the mirror lock up box it will send a short shutter open pluse then wait the set time then send the shutter open command. My camera doesn't need this all I have to do is set the mirror lockup and lock up time in the camera menus and then when a shutter open signal is sent the mirror will lock up for the amount of time set then the shutter will open. I just have to add that time to my exposure time. So if I want to take a 300 second picture and the camera has a 6 second lock up time then I have set the exposure time to 306 seconds.

#3 chrisastro

chrisastro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:29 AM

I just experimented with the DSLR Astropix software (within AutoStar Suite) and works very well for image capture.  I used it on my Canon Xti with a home made opto isolating capable and confirmed your results.
For the mirror lock up feature to work correctly I also needed to enable it on the cameras configuration setting.
Thanks for pointing out this undocumented feature  ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users