6 replies to this topic

#1 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:34 AM

Has anyone here uploaded the latest & greatest ISS coordinates for their scope and have it track it across the sky?  If so, how does it work?

The other night I was waiting for the ISS to pass, when I tried to "sic" the Autostar on it.  Needless to say I hadn't updated the ephemeris in a year so it gave me the "finger".  However I was able to manually slew the scope to the ISS---and for brief moments---get a glimpse of it.  About all I could tell was that it was non stellar, i.e. it had a "boxlike" shape to it.

Blatz for you all.

#2 DSOMAN

DSOMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:51 AM

You will need to download the latest orbital element set from the Meade Autostar updates page.

Replace the elements set about every week or so as the accuracy reduces with time.

See page 34 in the LXD75 manual for instructions for observing satellites. Everything you need is there.

Brent

#3 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for the info.  Have you ever tried it, and does it work, i.e. were you able to "see" the ISS with any detail?

Furthermore, have you ever taken a pic?  I've seen some floating around on the 'net and I think it would be a worthy endeavour.

Best regards.

#4 DSOMAN

DSOMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:09 AM

Yes, it works fine. You can take a decent photo but you need to have everything ready beforehand. Focus on a star first. Your exposure will be around 1 or 2 milliseconds as the ISS is very bright. You can see the solar panels and modules just fine with the eye. If you are setup to take a decent photo of Jupiter then use those settings for the ISS.

Photos can sometimes be difficult unless the seeing is good. I have not tried stacking multiple exposures but that might improve the final image.

Brent

#5 RixWorx

RixWorx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:58 PM

You will need to download the latest orbital element set from the Meade Autostar updates page.

Replace the elements set about every week or so as the accuracy reduces with time.

See page 34 in the LXD75 manual for instructions for observing satellites. Everything you need is there.

Brent

The only ISS element set I find are dated 2002.  How do you mean "replace the elements set about every week"? http://celestrak.com...ts/stations.txt

#6 DSOMAN

DSOMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

If you go to this website it should answer all your questions about loading the latest two line element set into Autostar. It is a little time consuming but works.

http://www.weasner.c..._satellite.html

Unfortunately Meade does not seem to keep the elements sets updated.

Brent

#7 RixWorx

RixWorx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:44 AM

Awesome, much clearer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users