• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stephenramsden

stephenramsden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:39 AM

Larry A.  You are the Sun God in my book.

What's the best Camera Setup for my new SolarMax 90?  Under $3500?  I am not getting what I want with the Canon 40d...

Posted Image

I have followed your imaging and very much respect your work sir..

Posted Image

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA
;D ;D ;D

#2 Larry Alvarez

Larry Alvarez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:19 AM

Stephen we have alot in common, I too once had a large Celestron Nexstar.  Loved it, but had to sell it after I started imaging the sun.  As for the best camera it is purely subjectional, I personally like the DMK line of ccd cameras.  They have monochrome models which are what you want to stick to when imaging H-alpha.  The DMK monochrome models offer a good signal to noise ratio and are resonably priced compared to Lumenera ccd's.  These cameras are similar to webcam's but they have a couple of major differences.  For one thing, they capture raw frames at 30~60 frames per second.  The fastest a Toucam can do in raw mode is 5 frames per second due to its USB 1.0 transfer rate.  DMK's transfer at 400mbs so you can generate alot of frames quickly.  This is essential when stacking the images in programs like registax or K3ccd tools. 

DMK's come in several ccd sizes.  I like the 640x480 model and use to have one.  It works really good for close ups.  If you interest is more the full disk, then the larger resolution models would probably work best for you.  A 640x480 model is around 400$.  The larger the sensor the larger the price tag.  Try to stick to CCD's as opposed to CMOS sensors.  The sensitivity of the CCD is much better suited to imaging H-alpha.  For the DMK's you would also want to get a c-mount to 1.25" adapter.  This will allow you to put it on your scope in place of the eyepiece. 

Clear Skyz, LA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users