6 replies to this topic

#1 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:18 AM

Hello all.  I would like some honest critiquing of the image below.  Taken through my LX90 with the LPI (with 2x barlow attached).  Some processing done in Registax.  If anyone would like to take a shot at "reprocessing" my original image, I would gladly let them.  I am fairly new at image processing and am looking for tips and whatnot.

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:04 AM

Very nice job for a first image.
All I can really say is add more frames to smooth it out a bit better but you are definatly on the right track.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:08 AM

Very nice job for a first image.
All I can really say is add more frames to smooth it out a bit better but you are definatly on the right track.

Regards

Mark

Thanks Mark.  I captured about 200 frames or so.  Did some polishing in Registax.  This is not my 1st try, though, it may look like it.  More like the 6th or 7th (at attempting Saturn).  If you want to try a stab at the rough image let me know.

By the by, I live in Michigan as well.  Up North....Wells in the UP.  Take care.

Tim

#4 wsuriano

wsuriano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:52 AM

I grew up in Escanaba.  I've lived in the Chicago area since 1978, although the rest of my family is still in the UP.  Take advantage of those dark skies.  They really suck here!

Planetary imaging is all about good seeing, focusing really well, and then taking a lot of subframes.  Seeing can vary considerably from frame to frame.  It looks to me like you're on the right track.  I remember my first images of Saturn.  Before too long, you'll have Jupiter to play with as well (without having to get up early in the morning).

#5 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:29 AM

I grew up in Escanaba.  I've lived in the Chicago area since 1978, although the rest of my family is still in the UP.  Take advantage of those dark skies.  They really suck here?

That's way cool.  Living in Wells, the skies are so-so....my next door neighbor has this hideous 1,000,000 candle power dusk-to-dawn light that completely ruins the skies for me (it shines right into my backyard), so typically I go up to my in-laws, who live just outside of town in Danforth.....skies are WAY better.

Thanks for the advice.  I may try imaging Saturn again tonight.  We will see.

Tim

PS...I will be in Chicago June 11 to See Iron Maiden.  Should be fun.

#6 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:58 AM

If you talk to your Neighbor maybe he will turn it off on your viewing or imaging nights.
If not you may want to go to your local township and complain about light tresspass.
There is no reason you should have to deal with that living in the middle of no where .
Here is what Happened to me and the results.
It may give you something to go by.

Regards

Mark

http://astronomy.qte...shiplights.html
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#7 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

Mark,

I've thought about talking to the neighbor, but in the 8 years I've lived here, I don't think I've seen him.  Honest to God, I think he is a hermit.  I hate to ask him a favor first off.  But I hear where you are coming from.  It's not too big of a deal to go to my in-laws.....and the skies are far superior.  But I will probably ask him to shut it down (if I ever meet him!) once fall/winter are here and I don't want to venture too far.

Thanks.  If you are ever in the UP look me up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users