5 replies to this topic

#1 Larry Alvarez

Larry Alvarez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:12 PM

I had some very good seeing the other day and made a movie of a super prom.  The movie is over 7 meg large so it much be downloaded to view it.  Below is a picture of the prom and below that is a link to the movie.  Clear Skyz, LA
Posted Image

http://mysite.verizo...gal/080322a.avi

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:46 PM

Very nice Larry.
It looks like the 90 mm really works nice.
Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Larry Alvarez

Larry Alvarez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:53 AM

Thanks Mark.  It is really a beautifully made scope.  I have word from the guys that designed them that the optics were specially tuned up for H-alpha.  Whether that plays a part in the overall image compared to one taken from a Televue scope or Orion scope is anyones guess but I have certainly enjoyed my 90 and am in constant awe of what it delivers.  The <.7 view is really good for proms and close ups and the <.5 is good for the extra boost of detail on stuff like flares. 

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:26 AM

Larry,
It is most impressive.
I still use the PST as most of my equipment is geared tward DSO imaging.
A bigger solar scope would be nice but not in the budget any time soon with gas prices breaking 4 bucks a gallon here in Michigan.
It looks like it will be a long hard summer for everyone.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#5 Larry Alvarez

Larry Alvarez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:15 PM

It is really an expensive hobby, that is for sure.  Even for the 40mm aperture scopes comparitively speaking to other scopes without H-alpha filtering its pretty extreme.  Its really a shame that we haven't figured out how to harness more energy from the Sun than we currently do.  With gas prices the way they are its almost cheaper to take vacation days than to drive into work. I'm sure if they did find a way to use the sun for power though, they'd also find a way to charge us for it and then we'd all be upset about the price of light.  :)

#6 Falcon

Falcon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:12 PM

Hi Larry,

Your photographs are a work of art. The images you have in Philip Pugh's book "Observing the Sun with Coronado Telescopes" belong in an artistic display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art!

Last Christmas I purchased a Coronado PST. My heart still skips a beat when I view solar activity thru it. As you are aware we always want a larger scope and when I checked Astronomics website I was astonished to see the Solar Max 60 and 90mm selling at deep discount.

May I ask your advise on my next Coronado scope? I have a Meade LDX 75 equitorial mount which is quite stable and should handle the SolarMax 90mm. Is that a correct assumption?

Scanning the website I hear talk about a rust problem. Is it common? The warrenty is for five years and I wonder what the repair cost would be out of warrenty?
Are there any other bugs or flaws in the 60mm or 90mm that you are aware of?

My thoughts are to try photography of the sun. I have never been artistic, but when I see your images I am enthralled with the beauty you bring out from the sun. I am retired and have been a night astronomer for years. I would like to start viewing the sun as well and see if I can capture its beauty as you do.

Going from the PST to the 90mm is quite a jump, but how often does Meade drop the price by 50%.
If there is any advice or suggestion on my next purchase, I am all ears to your thoughts and ideas.

Sincerely,

Larry Kuklinski

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users