• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 abn3001

abn3001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

Hi I Have an lx90 and want to get in to guiding.I have an apm port and would like some suggestions as to what kind of guide scope to buy.I have an sxv h9 as my main imager,Has anyone used the sxv guiding camera and what kind of results have you managed and any related problem.Ashley

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:38 PM

I have no personal knowledge myself but from many I talk to they have had real good success.
As of the guide scope.
There are several brands available on the market today and Myself i have a few different 1s but ive been mainly using the Meade 80 mm APO for guiding.
It has great optics and I also use it as a widefield platrorm for imaging.
In the end the choice will be yours .
If you plan on using the guide scope on the LX90 for guiding or imaging I strongly suggest the Losmandy system for mounting it.
IMO you cant find a better system.

regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 rhofm

rhofm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:16 AM

You might want to consider an alternative system for guiding: an off-axis guider. Here's why: during your session the optical axis of your guidescope might shift in relation to your imaging scope. Reasons are thermal expansion of the elements involved and shifting of components (mirror). Your guide scope may be on your guide star all the time but your main scope is pointing in another direction. There may be only a small difference, but this can be enough to ruin your photo. This is especially true for longer exposures.

You will find this mentioned in many books and articles about astrophotography. Of course an off-axis guider has also downsides like a smaller field of view and fewer guidestars to choose from.

-Rainer

#4 Iver

Iver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:06 PM

Hi Ashley, I use a 66 mm William Optics  scope for guiding and wide field imaging, I also have an H-9 and SXV guide head. I've been very happy with the results I'm getting with this combination. Here is a link to my website I have some images of my setup on the equipment page. If you have any other questions I'm more then happy to help.
-Iver Riise

http://www.freewebs....atestimages.htm

#5 abn3001

abn3001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:11 AM

Hello Iver,viewed your site.What can I say,stunning!! thanks for the message,ordered both the sxv guide camera and guide scope as soon as I saw your message.If i can get even close to getting some of the images you have on your site I'll be a very happy man.Only question Im wondering is how to attach the guide scope to the LX.I see from your picture that you have some kind of bar.Could you advise what and where I can get something similar? Ashley

#6 Iver

Iver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

Hi Ashley, I bought the rings and bar from Orion, it won't bolt right on though you need to cut the bar shorter and drill a couple of holes to mount the bar. Also the three point mounting screws on the focuser end will be to short because the scope tapers down, I had to screw some nylon acorn nuts on the screws so they would hold the guide scope. The price is right though so if you're handy with tools it won't be a problem. Here is a link to the Orion page, I just bought the bar and rings. I hope you'll post some of your images.
Take care,
-Iver

http://www.telescope...uide scope ring

#7 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:09 AM

Losmandy also Makes an excellent ring and bar system.
I use the losmandy system here to mount all of my scopes on the LX200R 10 inch.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#8 Robin Lee

Robin Lee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:51 AM

Don't forget ADM for rings system and dovetail bars. The thermal expansion can be encountered by attaching dew shield (active). You just have to set them at a fixed temperature.

#9 abn3001

abn3001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:01 AM

Thanks Iver I have a handyman who can knock me one up.I have tried to post some unguided images on the site with out luck.Will keep trying though.Guide camera arrived and scope next week hopefully from Iankingimaging.So soon as Ive worked out how to drift align properly and got everything nailed down,watch this space,now that I know what can be achieved with my equipement,Thanks for your help again,Ashley

#10 scorpius_h

scorpius_h

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:55 PM

Hi Ashley,

Are you using a computer hooked up to your scope, or the autostar only?

I'm trying to learn how to "train" my scope on my wedge (that I just got), and hope to take some photos. I'm a newbie big time, and most of what I read doesn't help much. I don't think that I will be able to accomplish what I want to until my observatory is finished (couple of months from now).

good luck, and if you get to make some images please tell me where to go to see your work.

H

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users