4 replies to this topic

#1 50BMG

50BMG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:16 PM

Hi all, a noob to your forums here.

I have Autostar Suite which has a menu item for "Pictor Camera Imaging" and for "Pictor Autoguiding", but when I try these menus, I get the following errors:

"Can't find the Pictor program!"

and

"Can't find the Guider module."

I do indeed have PictorView installed, but apparently this is not recognized.

Any Ideas?
Is my Autostar version the current one?

<hr>
Here's an inventory of my Meade Software:

• Autostar Suite Version 3.23
  • ASU v4.6
  • Autostar Suite Image Processing 3.22
  • Autostar Envisage 5.85
  • PictorviewXT 7.25
  • Epoch2000ip 2.0.2

Any suggestions or updates I've missed would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:34 PM

Make sure you go to the Meade site and get all of the updates.
Im not sure how it works in AS as I no longer have a pictor here to try it.

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 50BMG

50BMG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

Make sure you go to the Meade site and get all of the updates...

Thanks for the reply Mark.  I think I have all the latest.

Unfortunately, I have clues which lead me to believe one of them [the updates] may not have installed correctly or maybe has a missing component.

I'm getting intermittant feature failures, abrupt program terminations, and the revision levels and program dates are not what I would have expected.

I was hoping someone might check the rev's I've listed against their own setups to see if I am actually current.

I too, don't know what to expect from the pictor menu. Anyone else know?

#4 50BMG

50BMG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:24 PM

I'm updating this thread for the benefit of others who are interested and may come along seeking answers to the same questions I posed at the beginning.

To answer my own Questions and Concerns:

It appears that the Autostar Suite Version 2.0 Install disk does indeed install more components, and in different places than my original install. This is apparent because all the applications are suddenly stable, and many "previously broken" features now work.

I attribute this to windows registry changes and program storage location conventions that changed over the years since the introduction of earlier Meade software, like PictorView.

To begin, after installing from a "Autostar Suite Version 2.0 install disk", the following was the program version list.

• Envisage DSI/LPI 4.0 (2005)
  • AutoStar Suite 3.18 (2004)
  • ASU AutoStar Update 3.9 (Apr 4 2005 )
  • AutoStar Control 1.00
  • AutoStarIP 3.21 (2005)
  • NetScope 1.00

• EpochIP 2.02 2005 (Not installed in AutoStar Suite)

It is worth noteing that at this point, the AutoStar Suite's Pictor Menus, previously broken, were now active.  However, they brought up the previous  7.24 version of Pictor, not the 7.25 currently installed.

I was to discover that this is because Pictor is installed to the "C:\Program Files\Meade\AutostarSuite\Pictor\" folder with the installation of the AutoStar Suite disk. (The previous location for these was in "C:\Pview\", a place the AutoStar Suite didn't look. Hence the broken menu. The workaround is to manually update the 7.24 version to 7.25, which I highly reccommend to any SCSI based  Pictor owners, by the way. 7.25 is by far the friendliest, most stable version of PictorView. I have evaluated MaxIM DL v4 for use with the Pictor 416, but find that it has some minor "lockup" quirks, a problem PictorView no longer has.

Next, I applied ASUpdate4wse.exe, and the following changed:

• Envisage DSI/LPI 5.85 2005
  • AutoStar Suite 3.23 2005
  • AutoStarIP 3.22 2005

Finally, AutoStar Update 4.6 (Dec 13, 2006) is the result of a seperate update: "AU2.exe"

So, ultimately the original list of revisions was more or less correct, but the re-installation fixed many issues and allowed me to discover rationale for the behavior I was seeing.

Thanks to all who participated in this thread.

#5 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:41 PM

Im glad you were able to straighten things out and Im sorry I wasnt much help on this one.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users