Photo

Meade Telescope color ccd USB Video camera Eyepiece??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ta_man_tez

ta_man_tez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:09 AM

Hi, im quite new to this stuff, and was wondering if it is worth buying a Meade Telescope color ccd USB Video camera Eyepiece? The description sounds good but i dont want to buy anything that doesnt work well!Plz help!

#2 ta_man_tez

ta_man_tez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:36 PM

anybody?:'(?

#3 Fish Cat Fish Dog

Fish Cat Fish Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:04 PM

I have not used one.  I use the LPI. 

What are the specs for the Video Camera?

#4 ta_man_tez

ta_man_tez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:34 AM

640x480 pixels. Color CCD camera. USB compatible. Remote still frame shutter control. I dont know if that is any good or not?

#5 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:33 AM

Are you talking about the LPI, DSI, or some other camera?

#6 henrykb

henrykb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:00 AM

Hi

Sounds like it might the same device I've just bought, It all seems to work fine with windows Vista, just waiting for a clear evening to try it out. I'll post my results when I've got some.

It appears a genuine Meade product (Meade printed on the device and Manual etc)

The manual describes it as Meade PC Camera. (to my surprise it does actually does 1280 x 1024. although when I bought it, it was only listed as 640x480.)

I was wondering if anyone had and additional info on this device as it doesn't apear in any of the Meade Produce Literature, Web Site etc. The manual is aimed at the beggining user and doesn't have any technical spec or part number, DeviceType number etc. I'm particulary interested in the pixel size, sensitivity etc (CCD data sheet would be nice). Although a newcomer to Astronomy I'm a bit of a Techie nurd. Sorry.

Any Info would be most appreciated.

#7 henrykb

henrykb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:01 AM

Hi

Reasonable evening yesterday, but didn't have much time, so just used the camera as it comes out of the box with all the default settings.

So here is my very first attempt at saturn, this is using an ETX90 and the Meade USB Camera, (Not LPI or DSI), the first image is just as it comes, the second has just a little gamma correction. This is a single frame (not staked) selected prior to the Auto exposure over compensating and overexposing it into a bloom.

I'm well pleased with these results, now I need to find out how to process the stack of frames I've got to see if we can't improve on the image. :-[

#8 henrykb

henrykb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:55 AM

Hi

As a sample of the moon thes were my first shot of the moon with this device, I've software I've used K3CCDTools and RegiStax4 both available as a free download.

The First image was from about 32 frames captured with K3CCDTools and processed with RegiStax4 mainly using the default values and a bit of gamma correction. (haven't figured out how use the many features of these yet)

The second image is just a single unprocessed frame.

So to answer your original question......... a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Hope this helps

regards

Henryk

#9 donnw

donnw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:18 PM

Hi Henry:

I just got one of the Meade PC Cameras too.  I installed it under WinXP (running under Parallels Desktop on my MacBook Pro).  When I click the shutter and snap a pic, the saved image is 640 x 480.  You said it goes up to 1280 x 1024 - are you certain?  How do you get into that mode (or is that some kind of virtual or effective resolution derived in other software?)  Are you just using the included "Meade PC Camera" software or something else?  If you do come across any specs, please let me know too & I'll do likewise...  Thanks...

Peace & blessings,
donnw

Hi

Sounds like it might the same device I've just bought, It all seems to work fine with windows Vista, just waiting for a clear evening to try it out. I'll post my results when I've got some.

It appears a genuine Meade product (Meade printed on the device and Manual etc)

The manual describes it as Meade PC Camera. (to my surprise it does actually does 1280 x 1024. although when I bought it, it was only listed as 640x480.)

I was wondering if anyone had and additional info on this device as it doesn't apear in any of the Meade Produce Literature, Web Site etc. The manual is aimed at the beggining user and doesn't have any technical spec or part number, DeviceType number etc. I'm particulary interested in the pixel size, sensitivity etc (CCD data sheet would be nice). Although a newcomer to Astronomy I'm a bit of a Techie nurd. Sorry.

Any Info would be most appreciated.

#10 jeffgold1

jeffgold1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:03 PM

I'm having bigtime problem getting the camera to even work.
Only comes up 20 percent of the time.  The other 80 percent I get an error message This graph cannot preview.  I'm running Windows XP.

Very frustrating....

Any suggestions?

my email:  jeffgold1@cox.net

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users