• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie B

Eddie B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

I had a talk with the production manager about the back orders on an OTA for my LX200.
I wanted one of the new ACF OTA Made in Irvine, CA. USA like the web site says.
but Im am informed that they are now made in mexico. So why are they advertising on the web site MADE IN USA?

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

More than likely they havnt updated their web site yet.
From my understanding the scopes produced in Mexico have been of very good quality and real good quality control on them.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Fish Cat Fish Dog

Fish Cat Fish Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:17 PM

It does make me suspicious that Meade's resellers web sites indicate the NEW models numbers ( That is no reference to RC)  However Meade is behind the curve.

They lost the RC name lawsuit and they should now rapidly update their website with the Hecho en Mexico too.

#4 Eddie B

Eddie B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:26 PM

I am happy to hear that QC standards are still high, but I'm upset about being miss led by the web sit, I ordered 8" ACF  OTA 5 weeks ago. Then was told by someone claiming to be the production manager that
production is behind dur to the move and I can expect the OTA in 5-8 weeks. But in the San Diego area many have come to boycott any thing made in mexico.

#5 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:17 PM

I understand your feelings.
But from what I hear you will probably end up with a better scope as they are strict on quality control now.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#6 Optical Tube Assembly

Optical Tube Assembly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:48 PM

They must have updated their web site now because nowhere do I see a "Made in USA" blurb.

Matthew Ota
10" LX250GPS

#7 kitvarner

kitvarner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:17 PM

I am a shareholder in Meade and own several Meade scopes. Irvine, CA is a high rent district. If the company can't restore profitability neither my shares or my scopes has a future. That is business in century 21.

Carson
Normal, IL

#8 Fish Cat Fish Dog

Fish Cat Fish Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

It is surprising management did not make the move 10 years ago.

#9 Toxo

Toxo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

4M Folks,

All  sentiment expressed is apreciated.  I actually think it will be better in the long run for the Meade company so long as energy stays relatively cheap.  My biggest concern is what the move will do for warranty and tune-up turnaround times.  As it is now, we ship a very delicate instrument first to California, then to Mexico, then back to California and then back to me on the East Coast? Or will warranty service remain in California?  Does anybody close to Meade know how this is going to be handled?  I spent a bundle this year on the extended warranty contract.....

Toxo

#10 Fish Cat Fish Dog

Fish Cat Fish Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:32 PM

Toxo,

I would like to know the answers to your questions also.

I have also been thinking about the future for all instrument makers. With the US economy slow it will become hard for a lot of folks to purchase scopes and stuff.

We should do what can to get people interested in Astronomy.  The long term benefits will hopefully keep the production lines going.

Remember what scopes cost 30 years ago?  Well I do and they were a lot more than now when adjusted for inflation we are getting a bargain.

Side Note:  When we call Meade technical support, please be patient with these folks.  I can certainly understand your frustration.  But these people need a calm place to work.  I suggest writing a letter to the officers of the corporations and share your concern.  Meade Management are the responsible parties.

#11 darwin-t

darwin-t

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:00 AM

I was afraid that was where they were going, because they never said WHERE they were moving. I have been frustrated by Meade's seemingly constant model changes and inavailability of scopes. Now I guess I'll either have to try to find a used Meade or go with Celestron. It's sad.

#12 Garand

Garand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:43 AM

Celestron?  Since being made in America seems to be the thrust of this conversation it should be noted that in 2005 Celestron was bought out by a Taiwan based company, Synta, through their Delaware division, SW Technlogy.  Not a huge change, really, sice Synta had been manufacturing telescopes and optics for Celestron for some time prior.

Meade's move to Mexico was the best available option.  With the majority of optics being manufactured in Asia, Meade could not compete as long as they were producing in the United States.  Mexico is at least on the same continent as the United States and Meade will be able to monitor the manufacturing process closely.

So buy from Celestron if you want your money to go to China.  Meade is still a US based company.

#13 Fish Cat Fish Dog

Fish Cat Fish Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:47 AM

I was afraid that was where they were going, because they never said WHERE they were moving. I have been frustrated by Meade's seemingly constant model changes and inavailability of scopes. Now I guess I'll either have to try to find a used Meade or go with Celestron. It's sad.

I have not kept up with Meade's product line.  I was unaware of unavailability issues.

#14 darwin-t

darwin-t

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

Here is a quote from the Celestron site:

"Celestron is a privately held company with corporate offices and manufacturing facilities, in Torrance, CA"

I take it that they are MADE in America by American workers. I don't care if a foreign company owns the company as much as who makes them and where. I'm sorry, but I can't support a company that closes a factory here and moves it to Mexico. Sorry. I can't do it.

As for models, I originally thought the LX200 was the current model, only to find (IIRC) the LX200GPs was  the current model. The next time I looked, it was the LX90GPS, which were not available because the manufacturing was being moved. now it is the LX90 ACF, which are pre-order only.

Each time the model changes, I can't find any of the old model still being sold. They don't seem to be listed on the web sites as far as I can see.

#15 Fish Cat Fish Dog

Fish Cat Fish Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:00 PM

Darwin-T,

Interesting post. 

Made in America

Produced in America

Assembled in America

Made in North America

Assembled in North America

Produced in North America

How would we ever know what part was made where?

#16 vlld

vlld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

Hello! A lot of Celestrons  Scopes are made in China Same as Many other brands, They are made by GSO or Synta, Both Chinese  MFG. Meade may assemble the scopes in Mexico but as the other companies the parts are from China , Mexico, USA  and other  countries world wide depending on the company! Im not sure there is a telescope mfg that make complete scope from made in the USA  parts!  I could be wrong and maybe someone else will chime in,  I have one of the Starfinder 16" dobs and back when it was made Meade made the mirrors in the CA plant , The sono tube was made in the us but im not sure the rest of the scope's parts were  US made!  I hear what your saying - assembled by Americans in  America but  some of  celestron scopes come to America already assembled , The same with Meade, Bushnell, Tasco, Galileo And  im sure there are others! And lets not forget there are alot of  good American folks who are gainfully employed by Meade In CA.USA!

#17 skywise

skywise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:17 PM

In many ways the size, age, and perseverance of the cosmos makes human politics seem so trite. On the other hand, is it possible to tell from the serial number where my scope was made?
Brad Snowder
Planetarium Manager
Western Washington University

#18 Guest_Qgent_*

Guest_Qgent_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:50 PM

I was made in the Dominican Republic, and just maybe your parents were made in Europe..
Do it really makes a difference where your scope gets built? unless you can get it from out of our Solar system.. Just think about it...

#19 porterhouse

porterhouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

Celestron?  Since being made in America seems to be the thrust of this conversation it should be noted that in 2005 Celestron was bought out by a Taiwan based company, Synta, through their Delaware division, SW Technlogy.  Not a huge change, really, sice Synta had been manufacturing telescopes and optics for Celestron for some time prior.

Meade's move to Mexico was the best available option.  With the majority of optics being manufactured in Asia, Meade could not compete as long as they were producing in the United States.  Mexico is at least on the same continent as the United States and Meade will be able to monitor the manufacturing process closely.

So buy from Celestron if you want your money to go to China.  Meade is still a US based company.

Nice speech. :)  I suggest you grab one of Meade's ETX telescopes and read the country of origin printed on the bottom.  Also, view my comments in the ETX section and let's talk of quality control. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users