3 replies to this topic

#1 jgilmore911

jgilmore911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:01 PM

Hi,

I have a Tele Vue NP-101 and I'm thinking of buying a Coranado SolarMax 90.

What sort of visual image quality can I expect from this type of equipment?

Also, I'd like to do some imaging with a Nikon D40.  Again, what sort of image quality can I expect?

It also occured to me that I can't have the BF10 mounted when there's a camera there.  How does that affect things?

Thanks,
John.

#2 Philip Pugh

Philip Pugh

Sir Philip Pugh, AKA Astrochav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationBased in South West England and Wales

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

Am I correct in thinking that you intend to buy the separate filter, rather than the dedicated telescope?

I've no knowledge of the Nikon D40 but know that Larry Alvarez has done some great stuff with a dedicated 90mm telescope.

Although the NP-101 is an excellent telescope, the APO optics aren't an advantage for monochrome viewing, such as hydrogen alpha, as all light will come to a common focus with an achromat.

If you have a larger telescope, you may consider some non-Coronado options, such as Marcello Lugli's CromixSun.

#3 jgilmore911

jgilmore911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:28 AM

Am I correct in thinking that you intend to buy the separate filter, rather than the dedicated telescope?

I've no knowledge of the Nikon D40 but know that Larry Alvarez has done some great stuff with a dedicated 90mm telescope.

Although the NP-101 is an excellent telescope, the APO optics aren't an advantage for monochrome viewing, such as hydrogen alpha, as all light will come to a common focus with an achromat.

If you have a larger telescope, you may consider some non-Coronado options, such as Marcello Lugli's CromixSun.

Yes, I'm thinking of buying the 90mm filter and using it on my existing NP-101.  I'd be interested in your thoughts on this as compared to other possible equipment setups.  I also have a Meade LX90 although I didn't really intend to use that for solar observing.

#4 Philip Pugh

Philip Pugh

Sir Philip Pugh, AKA Astrochav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationBased in South West England and Wales

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:21 AM

I've absolutely no doubt it would work but an LX90 with a separate filter system in the eyepiece path would probably be even better. Greg Piepol has managed to achieve a 0.2 Angstrom bandpass, so I'd definitely explore some non-Coronado options at the top end of the market.

An 8" aperture and sub 0.5 Angstrom bandpass sounds like my idea of Heaven! You can also use the same set-up with your Televue as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users