4 replies to this topic

#1 cygnusx1

cygnusx1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

Does the autostar have a battery somewhere inside to retain it's memory?
Everytime I turn my ETX105 on I have to go into the autostar and put the correct time in and the correct date. For some reason it changes the date and the time looses a couple of hours each time. I haven't updated the autostar yet as I haven't got the software quite figured out yet... I have a bluetooth hook up and its usb, I haven't figured it yet and don't want to screw up the autostar. It also seems to be out quite a bit when you goto objects in the sky. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

#2 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:17 PM

Hi CygnusX1,

The 497 AutoStar does not have a battery; it receives its power from your ETX105.  Without batteries it cannot store date or time.  The ETX premier series has a date/time module which is located in the red dot finder.  If you have one of these and date and time are not stored, the battery (2032) has either come loose or has died.

Poor pointing accuracy is usually related to drive training.  If you have not recently trained your drives, this would give you poor go to results.  Its under select item>setup>telescope>train drives.  Both azimuth and altitude are trained independently.  Best training results are obtained with a distant object during the day using a reticle eyepiece.  Fortunately, in So. CA I have a very convenient microwave tower on a mountain about 5 miles away...the dish fits nicely in the view of a 12mm reticle eyepiece.  Meade's webite has videos which help at:
http://www.meade.com...os/chap10a.html and http://www.meade.com...os/chap10b.html

Hope this helps,

Russ

#3 cygnusx1

cygnusx1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:52 PM

Thanks Russ, checked the battery tonight and it was down to 2V so will replace it tomorrow. I have also noted that the time has an odd format 12:42:64 PM What's with the last two numbers they go all the way to 99? I am missing the Smart Finder lens so can't do a really accurate lineup yet, Have another on order and a Telrad. I got this 105ETX second hand so I can use it with my grandson for my photography I still use my C6.
The 105 is really sharp for lunar and planetary. I'm thinking of updating the AutoStar but I'm having trouble finding the latest update. Meade says 43Ed but another site I've seen says latest is April 17, 2007
and is 43Eg Don't know who to trust? This scope also came with a Starry Night Bluestar adapter it has Bluetooth usb hookup to the computer but I don't know if I can update through it or will need another type of cable. Can you go straight from the AutoStar into your computers usb?
I'm sure will get it all sorted out before I die, its just annoying that what is supposed to be so simple turns out to be complicated.

#4 Clear Skies

Clear Skies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:26 PM

When training the drives, make sure you do it correctly. This (-click-) is the procedure I use.

Cheers,

Victor

Victor van Wulfen

author of the Clear Skies Observing Guides - A Modern Day Celestial Handbook
Twitter - Facebook - Google+

#5 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:16 AM

Hi CygnusX1,

Replacing the SmartFinder battery is a bit tricky - pay close attention to the internal springs.

I have not tried the blue tooth adapter so cannot comment on its use but would be leery of updating this way.  You can update using a serial to com port adapter and a Meade p/n 0451 [#505 Cable Connector Kit w/Software, for use with #497 AutoStar (ETX-90,105,125)].  Meade has a serial to USB adapter, but it is available fron a number of other sources as well - do NOT, however, use the expensive units with LEDs (i.e. Belkin) to indicate data flow as they interfere with the AutoStar update.  The latest AutoStar update on Meade's website http://www.meade.com/support/auto.html) is 43Eg.

You can input 99:99:99 for time - I have never tried inputting this, but suspect AutoStar would not accept it.

Re Smart Finder:  Although it can get you close to your alignment stars, its field of view is too wide for an accurate alignment.  You need to align using the eyepiece.  Best alignment is done with a reticle eyepiece, but defocusing the star to create a large doughnut for easy centering also works well.  I have used the Rigel QuickFinder on ETX scopes.  You can mount it on an oversized piece of PVC pipe lined with black fabric.  Slip over the ota, and you also have which a dew shield.

Russ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users