4 replies to this topic

#1 jaycee

jaycee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:55 PM

HI,

Just read "bear's" slewing problem and, purely by coincidence, my LX 90 has started giving slewing problems tonight.  When slewing to an alignment star the scope suddenly stopped slewing.  Power stayed on the Autostar but the motors weren't running at all.  I wiggle the Autostar cable and it goes again but elevation slewing is very slow.  I switch off and try again.  Once more, the scope will only slew occasionally and.

I gave up and brought the rig back indoors and try a few more times.  The cable is still my prime suspect but I can't be sure.  The connections look ok and giving the cable a wiggle doesn't seem to bear any relation to whether the scope will slew or not.  Elevation movements are almost always very slow, often afer an initial burst at normal speed.  My power supply is fine and I've tried batteries as well.  No fault messages show up on the Autostar.

I already have a dead LNT module but I don't this slewing problem can be related to that. 

Any ideas much appreciated but if you post after April 22nd I apologise for not replying but I'll be working abroad and will have very limited internet access.  :)

This has, of course, happened on probably the clearest night so far this year  :-[

#2 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:57 PM

It could be a cable problem.  It is usually at the point the cable enters the RJ45 jack.  More recent cables fom Meade have a molded strain...if your cable does not, the cable is a likely cause and Meade wll replace it.

Russ

#3 jaycee

jaycee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:27 PM

Thanks Russ, I think the cable is definitely the first place to start.  There's no strain relief on mine at all and I don't always disconnect the Autostar cable when taking the scope outside so it's possible I've damaged it.  I'm well aware that these connectors are quite fragile.

Cheers,
John.

#4 Clear Skies

Clear Skies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:06 PM

Here's an idea: The LX90 is an Autostar #497 controlled telescope. This specific controller's cable works 'both ways'. Try swapping ends and see what it does.

Regards,

Victor

Victor van Wulfen

author of the Clear Skies Observing Guides - A Modern Day Celestial Handbook
Twitter - Facebook - Google+

#5 jaycee

jaycee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:26 PM

Excellent idea, Victor. Thanks very much for that.  I'll give it a go but I'm off to India for 8 weeks in a few hours time so it'll be June before I get back to you with the results!

Cheers,
John.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users