• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wedwards

wedwards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:18 AM

Hopefully, Mark Sibole will read this message.
Mark, in an earlier posting on December 17, 2007, you stated, in part, as follows:
'Dont worry about the corrector plate as it will take a ton of dirt on it before it affects the views.
My scope is in an OBS and the corrector plate is only cleaned once a year.'
I would greatly appreciate knowing exactly what procedure you deploy in the cleaning of the corrector plate, particulary details of materials used, pitfalls to avoid etc.
Regards,
Bill.

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:28 AM

This will work for CCD chips as well as corrector plates.
Parts needed
Q-TIPS
very soft Camel hair brush
Isopropal Alchol 98%
A new clean Spray bottle
Distilled water
Air Syringe ( or compressed air)
Coffie Filters
Kleenex (WHITE SCENT FREE LOTION FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Patience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use a clean bowl or measuring cup
Strain 1 cup 98% Isopropal Alchol through the coffee filter into A clean container.
Strain 3 cups Distilled water through a new coffee filter  into the same container.
Add 1 table spoon of windex( only the blue windex free of amonia.)
The windex isnt a must but helps in the end process to help prevent streaking.
Stir this mix untill mixed very good.
Strain this Mixture through a clean coffee filter into the Clean Spray bottle.
This solution can be used to clean eyepieces,Corrector Plates , filters as well as the CCD chip.

Now use the air syring or compressed air to remove any loose dust on the CCD chip.
Moisten a piece of the kleenex wraped around the Q TIP untill its wet.
Dont over saturate it.
Very gentily wipe the chip using no pressure or just the pressure of the Q tip if layed on it.
Move side to side then corner to corner.
Now use a clean dry piece of kleenex wrapped around the Q tip to gently wipe off the solution.
Pay attention to the corners this is where dust or dirt is the hardest to remove.
When this is complete use another clean kleenex and very very gently polish the surface.
When this is done use the air syringe or compressed air to blow off residual dust left from the kleenex.
Install camera and do a very short exposure toward a low light source.
Adjust the exposure untill you can see if there is any dust or dirt left on the chip.
The camera dosnt have to be on the scope.
If there are any dust motes left repeat process.
If there are only  1 or 2 motes in the corners gently clean with a kleenex rolled to a point or a very soft camel hair brush.
then blow off with air syringe.

I have used this method on all of my imagers and im dust free.

As this write up was for Cleaning CCD chips it still applies to corrector plates so I just copy and pasted it.
or a corrector plate make sure it is mostly dust free.
Spray a light mist on the plate and using a clean kleenex gently wash the plate using large circular motions.
When the dirt it loosened up gently spray another light mist onto a new Kleenex and repeat.
Then use a dry kleenex to very gently buff the surface.
When doing all of this the only pressure that is applied is to just hold the kleenex from falling out of your hand.
You do not want to apply any pressure to the plate so you dont scratch it..
  If you need anymore help please feel free to ask.

Regards

Mark

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 wedwards

wedwards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:19 AM

Mark,
Thanks for your prompt and informative reply.
I have copied its content into my records for future reference.
Regards,
Bill.

#4 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:01 AM

Might be worth making this a sticky for future use and new people to the forum.

#5 Fish Cat Fish Dog

Fish Cat Fish Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

This helps a bunch, as I am getting my scope ready for the weekend.  Thanks

#6 UFO290

UFO290

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:16 AM

To Mark Sibole,

Let me explain this what has happened:

Outside corrector plate cleaning with Acetone???     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I just came back from Black Forest Star Party, I met two Meade Representatives and I happened to discuss with them regarding on cleaning my 10" Meade LX-200 OTA not in fork mount, OK?  I was discussing with them about sort of about thin film appeared on the corrector plate and I haven't done anything yet, until I need to find out if this is true.
   Here what the Meade representatives recommended me to clean with acetone along with Kodak lint free tissue paper with NO circular motion at all. Just start from the outer rim with no pressure and run it up toward to secondary then repeat same process, slowly then after you get it all of the corrector plate then you just use your breath blow it on the plate and see if it is uniform or mellow through. If it is still not uniform or some specks or streaks. Just repeat the process of this cleaning.
   I need to know, Do these guys telling me the truths???  IF so, do I have to dilute the acetone with filtered distilled water?
   I would appreciate if someone tell these representatives if they are really telling me the right thing to do.

Thanks,
Ken Kressler 

This is what I was told, so what is the real truth here and these guys told me what to do, but I haven't touch anything. It needs some cleaning because of the thin film of possible smears. 

Thanks,
Ken Kressler

#7 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

Either will work but I prefer my way for easy fast cleaning  The Acitone I will only use if I have a stubborn spot from oil or tree sap on the plate.
I usually only clean mine once a year as it takes a lot to mess up a view from anything.

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users