• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cohend

cohend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:00 PM

I just bought the Solarmax 40. I have the Meade DSI PRO II and a Nikon D70.  I have been a little succesful using the camera equiptment with my ETX125PE.  Anyone have any tips on photogtaphing the sun the SM40?

I just got the DSI PRO II to replace my faulty LPI.

just looking for any advice...

Thanks

Dan
Chicago, IL
user721401@aol.com

#2 leinbach

leinbach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:38 AM

I have similar questions, too, and hope one of the "pros" steps in with real advice.  I am part way there - I can get an image using the DSI Pro II on my PST.  The focusing is more limited on the PST than on the SM40, I understand.  I had to add the barlow element of a Cemax barlow to the 1 1/4 inch adapter on my camera - that got me a focused image.  One issue I noted when I took very short exposures through a Bader solar filter on my SN6, was the presence of interlace lines on the image.  There are some processing programs which include a de-interlace function.  I would be interested in other folk's suggestions on this matter.

Harold Leinbach

#3 redvis

redvis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:07 PM

Dan,

Have you been able to reach focus with your DSI Pro II with the SM40?  Let me know and we can go from there in terms of imaging.

Harold -

Here's an excellent link about using the DSI Pro for solar imaging, including how to deal with interlaced images:

http://www.h-alpha.dk/dsipro.htm

Dan & Harold, let me know if that link helps you out.  I'm going to put together a sticky post of a bunch of important links for h-alpha solar imaging with Coronado products soon.

Hope this helps, looking forward to working with both of you on your solar imaging adventure!

Cameran
Meade 4M Solar Advisor

Posted Image

#4 cohend

cohend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:14 AM

Cameron

Not sure if I got focus or not...I have been having tripod issues...I did get some pics with the D70 but I cannot process the image to look like others have gotten.  I have Photoshop CS2 and registax.  I also just ordered Imaegsplus...The b&w image is from the DSI PRO II ....the others are from the d70 converted to jpg from nef.

[attachment deleted by admin]

#5 redvis

redvis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:27 PM

Hi Dan,

Your picture didn't upload.  Try again so we can see what you're getting with the Pro II.

Thanks!

Cameran
Meade 4M Solar Advisor

Posted Image

#6 cohend

cohend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:05 AM

Cameran,

First of all I want to apologize for mispelling your name....SORRY

I will re-attach the picture...

Dan

http://C:\Meade Images\image0001.jpg
http://C:\Users\Daniel\Pictures\Img2007-04-16_02\image0039.jpg

[attachment deleted by admin]

#7 Philip Pugh

Philip Pugh

Sir Philip Pugh, AKA Astrochav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • LocationBased in South West England and Wales

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:41 AM

I know this is a "plug", as I'm the lead writer of the book but Nick's Imaging chapter really tells it how it is:

http://www.springer....a|aboutThisBook

I've used some of his tips and tricks and improved my own solar imaging a lot.

You may also with to know that a certain Cameran Ashraf wrote a rather good piece on double stacking a PST.

#8 cohend

cohend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:10 PM

Just ordered the book.  I hope it helps me improve my imaging....

Dan

#9 Philip Pugh

Philip Pugh

Sir Philip Pugh, AKA Astrochav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • LocationBased in South West England and Wales

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:37 PM

Just ordered the book.  I hope it helps me improve my imaging....

Dan

I read Nick's chapter while preparing the book and its certainly helped my imaging. Its also helped my imaging of other objects as well. Nick spends absolutely ages on post-processing, honestly more than I have time or patience for. I tend to go for lots of shots, while Nick always goes for the special one.

The key is to use Paintshop Pro or Photoshop, split the channels into RGB and use the Histogram functions on each channel to bring out the detail. You can then mix the channels to get the final image. The problem is that not all digital cameras are the same. If your camera supports monochrome shots, even better. Most take RGB shots then use them to produce "monochrome"  but true monochrome shots are better for hydrogen alpha photography.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users